Keeps trying to be an escape artist

SaintJimmy

Avid Member
It's getting to the point where it's hard to feed him because he always wants to be out on my hand, anywhere but his cage will do.

He is around 6 1/2 mo and is still living in a small 16x16x20 cage.

My dad wants to postpone the cagebuilding till next week but I'm telling him he needs a new one.

Any advice? I think the cage is way too small, and I tower over the cage. I think that's why Mo keeps wanting out.

You're probably right, he might just want a bigger house. Is there any way to temporarily add to the existing cage until you/your dad can get around to building a new one?

I have a 1 1/2 year old blue bar in a 2x2x4 foot cage...he still climbs out onto our hands when we open the cage. I think it's just the excitement of getting out. Plus he knows he's either getting fed, going on his free range, or going in the shower so I guess I don't blame him for wanting out. :)

I have a 1 1/2 year old blue bar in a 2x2x4 foot cage...he still climbs out onto our hands when we open the cage. I think it's just the excitement of getting out. Plus he knows he's either getting fed, going on his free range, or going in the shower so I guess I don't blame him for wanting out. :)

I can take a pic of how cramped the cage is.. And he's got a dripper system above him as well as lights, and I am at least 2 ft taller than him when I walk over there.

He hissed at me today and tried to bite me when he tried running out. I really think he just needs a new cage.

I really wanna build a HUGE version of this. With a funnel at the bottom. So when he poops all the poop goes into a funnel and into a bucket.

http://www.reptilechannel.com/lizards/lizard-care/building-lizard-cage.aspx

The funnel will have to be big. Also running like 3 drippers and having some hanging plants in it will do good for the humidity. Also it will have a door on it. Idk how but it will. I really like the idea of a cylinder cage. Hanging. And I won't have to buy a desk or something to build off of.

My dad was thinking more of something really fancy like this..
https://www.chameleonforums.com/custom-high-quality-chameleon-cage-34851/

EDIT: adding pic of the small cage.. and me vs the cage. also u can see monty and how big he is compared to the cage. i deffo need a new one

first pic is in a mirror. the thing in blue is ME and the cage is on the white dresser. the boxes and pink bag is just the closet sorry.

second pic is the cage itself, and the setup above it. also the cricket cage, superworm tupperware, and the basket i use for the calcium bags and spraybottle. third pic is just to see how big he is vs cage

Also I'm cleaning the cage right now, so don't freak out. :(

Attachments

• IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2056.jpg
    IMG_2056.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
You're probably right, he might just want a bigger house. Is there any way to temporarily add to the existing cage until you/your dad can get around to building a new one?

Also not really. we'd need to buy materials. I could TRY FRing him in his tiny ficus plant but really that wouldn't work..

I'm gonna go ahead and save someone the hassle of reading an extra thread.

Ever since yesterday EVERY damn time I open the door whether to feed him or to take a picture he BOLTS OUT.

Any ideas? I'm so worried. I have to turn the heat lamp off every time I open the door because he tries to escape and climb up the lamp.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of building a temporary freerange for him to put ontop the cage before we build a new one. Because there isn't any way we'd be able to build one this week.

Back
Top Bottom