Keeping your cham in the living room?

Is this a bad idea? I feel as though I'm stressing my cham out by having his cage in the living room. I have a whole spare room that I can put him in, but wanted to hear your guys thoughts before I move him.

Depends on your cham. How busy is your living room ? Do you have other pets? A pet free low traffic area is ideal. Also they need to be on their sleep schedule and in the dark at night.

Is this a bad idea? I feel as though I'm stressing my cham out by having his cage in the living room. I have a whole spare room that I can put him in, but wanted to hear your guys thoughts before I move him.

I have a dozen melleri on a free range encircling my living room. They aren't stressed. I work in there - my desk is in a corner and we watch TV in there. They are fine when people come over ... sometimes they get pissy when one of the panthers leaves their area and comes strolling in to their territory but otherwise they are mellow and relaxed.

It's all what they get used to.

I would say it depends on your individual situation. I have my veiled in my great room and this is where I watch TV and spend most of my time. I don't have kids running by the cage, and my cats are around, but don't seem to matter much to Zaphod, but again, it depends. I would not have the enclosure near a doorway where you can startle your cham entering the room, but against a wall with little traffic right near it should be fine. :)

There are not other pets, he's the only one. I just dont understand why he likes to threaten me so much. I walked outside to grab some crickets for him and before I even get 10feet from his cage hes threatening me. I started thinking maybe it was the t.v and him being in the living room but I'm not sure

He has his own corner and he's far away from anything going on in the room (there's not much doing on anyway) and he's also higher than anything else in the room.
I'm starting to think its just his personality too

You've only had him about a week, right? Give him a little space to get used to his new surroundings. Try to minimize the interaction for a bit and once he gets more comfortable you should be able to approach with less stress. I wouldn't move him unless you are sure the location is causing the stress.

Mine has always been in the living room. I have a dog that romps about and grand kids that do the same. It doesn't seem to bother him. I wouldn't want to put him into a spare room where I couldn't see him while I'm relaxing.:)

You've only had him about a week, right? Give him a little space to get used to his new surroundings. Try to minimize the interaction for a bit and once he gets more comfortable you should be able to approach with less stress. I wouldn't move him unless you are sure the location is causing the stress.

Yeah, a little longer than a week it hasnt been long. Well thats the thing that I dont understand. I've left him completely alone lately but hes been threatening me more randomly. When I got him I understood why he'd threaten me, but now it's so random I dont understand. If that makes sense lol.
But yeah I'm going to be patient, but why's he have to be so mean!

I have mine all in the living room. I also have 3 cats, a big dog, and worst of all a bunch of loud obnoxious kids. Seriously it doesn't seem to phase any of them.

2013-04-29162559_zps0c85244a.jpg

Mine has also always been in our living room. We rehomed him about a year ago from a person in another state (and climate). He used to gap at me sometimes and he is always in survival mode but he has gotten to tolerate me coming near him. He does not like to be fooled with but will come out once in a while to look around and loves to go outside for walks on my shoulder. Patience is best. It takes a while to earn their trust - although I don't think they ever totally do, nor should they! Once every day or two I open the door and just very lightly & slowly stroke under his chin and along his spine then I leave him alone. That way he doesn't always think I'm going to bother him or try to remove him from his home - he really loves his home I guess! Lol He seems to love my wife's flowered house dresses and bright blouses. Often we see him come down to a low vine and just stare at her. I usually wear dark shirts or t's and they are NOT attractive to him at all! :cool: https://www.chameleonforums.com/att...eason-cage-builds-2012-06-18_12-48-23_831.jpg https://www.chameleonforums.com/att...ve-too-many-vines-2013-01-19_11-33-04_155.jpg

I have allot of free range trees in my living/dinning/kitchen area. My cham are all very social and love being in the same room with us.

I have allot of free range trees in my living/dinning/kitchen area. My cham are all very social and love being in the same room with us.
Really what kind of camillions do u have??? I have a veiled male for almost 8 months now. He HATES me. Every now and then he'll come out but never on my hand only on a stick that's about 3ft long and he stays all the way at the other end.

Really what kind of camillions do u have??? I have a veiled male for almost 8 months now. He HATES me. Every now and then he'll come out but never on my hand only on a stick that's about 3ft long and he stays all the way at the other end.

Back then I had panthers. I still have one free range in my living room where my male veiled lives.

Back
Top Bottom