Keeping Yoda safe during flea treatment

bbyoda

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey folks! Unfortunately I've got a bit of a flea infestation on my hands. It's worst in our bedroom (thanks to a cow hide rug - the fleas love that thing) but we're going to treat the entire apartment ofc. Would love your opinions on the treatment plan and how to keep my veiled cham safe.

What we've tried so far:
Vaccuming everywhere and laundering everything that can be laundered
Diatomaceous earth in bedroom
Fleastoppers powder (boric acid) in bedroom
Generic version of Advantage II for the cats

What we're doing next:
Switching to flea assassin meds for the cats. We'll be giving a 24 hour 12mg Nitenpyram pill that kills adult fleas and switching to a monthly pill with 210 Lufenuron so eggs of fleas that bite the cats are inert. This will turn the cats into flea killers and is the good stuff, according to my friends who manage cat colonies and TNR efforts.

Vet Kem spray for carpets and upholstery; active ingredients are s-methoprene 0.01% and permethrin 0.28%. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQJ5JO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_ysD6FbGTVG8JX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This should help interrupt the life cycle of fleas living in our carpets. I'm mostly concerned about whether it's safe to spray this stuff in the room with the chameleon at all, or OK if we remove him (not the cage), or if we just need to stick to vaccuming and diatomaceous earth and boric acid in that room. The cats don't go in there at all and we haven't seen fleas in there at all, but we do want to treat for fleas holistically and not be dealing with this is another 3 months. :)

What I'm not doing:
Bombs or foggers. Don't seem to be effective as a flea treatment, plus that'd be super challenging with the 3 cats and chameleon.

As long as its not aerosol based and you are not free ranging, you are fine. About the only thing you need to monitor is the Diatomaceous earth, as it could be a lung irritant if it get stirred up, but outdoor keepers line the compound with the stuff. You can eat the stuff just fine (some people add it to dog food for some reason).

Last edited:
As long as its not aerosol based and you are not free ranging, you are fine. About the only thing you need to monitor is the Diatomaceous earth, as it could be a lung irritant if it get stirred up, but outdoor keepers line the compound with the stuff. You can eat the stuff just fine (some people add it to dog food for some reason).

Thanks for the reassurance! No aerosols here. Good note on the DE. Same issue with Boric Acid too. And they both make the air so dry.

People add DE to pet food as a parasite treatment and preventative. I've done that in the past for the cat colony I manage, but upon further reflection I'm not sure that would work since DE is a mechanical solution and it needs to be dry to work.

I like the Vetkem spray. It doesn't have heavy chemical smell at all and lasts almost a year on carpets and baseboards.
You can also get the spray for your pets too. It was effective.
I would just move your guy out of the room when you spray.(dont forget the feeders too) Maybe even open the window for a while to air it out before moving him back.
As far as treating the flea bags (my cats are terrible some years)
Try revolution. Or advatage multi. Both need to come from the vet.
I find the revolution works much better than the regular advatage.
I have a lot of animals. But most years I only need a one month dose to treat the problem.

I like the Vetkem spray. It doesn't have heavy chemical smell at all and lasts almost a year on carpets and baseboards.
You can also get the spray for your pets too. It was effective.
I would just move your guy out of the room when you spray.(dont forget the feeders too) Maybe even open the window for a while to air it out before moving him back.
As far as treating the flea bags (my cats are terrible some years)
Try revolution. Or advatage multi. Both need to come from the vet.
I find the revolution works much better than the regular advatage.
I have a lot of animals. But most years I only need a one month dose to treat the problem.

Thanks, will move him and feeders out of the room and ventilate to be safe! Revolution and Advantage multi are good stuff. I am giving flea assassin a go because it's a local company, cheaper, for fleas, and comes recommended by cat colony folks here in Florida who also love Revolution and Advantage Multi. We'll see how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom