keeping uric acid levels down

aplazbarr

Established Member
I lost my beautiful cham two week ago becuase he had high uric acid levels. it seemed vet were useless except for charging me. And I went to two vets, one of the an "expert". yet after spendng over $200. they were zero help.
They should have given me my money back!!!!!

So now i ask the really experts could I have reduced his UA levels quickly or once they levels are high I should just wait for him to die and save the VET bills.:confused::mad:

Gout, is where excessive Uric Acid forms crystaline structures between cells, collecting in joints. Unlike Edema, I have not been able to save any chameleon that had gout (Uric acid buildup). I have been sucessful in dinishing the swollen joints, but not soon enough I suppose. I'm not aware of too much else that can be done through medication for example. I suppose some vets might suggest a drug for mild pain releif as it is not only painful but stressful.

Changing the diet and supplementation is the key, combined with extra hydration. I'll grab some info links for you tomorrow.

What is uric acid levels? What gives them uric acid levels?

Last edited:
im not a 100 % sure but think it is from to much Vitamin A. check your supplements for high Vitamin A. switch it for beta caratine. chameleons cant pass A and it builds up in their body.

I'm not a physician or veterinarian, however... At it's simplest, or most complicated, depending how you look at it, Wikipedia describes Uric Acid, in short as;

Uric acid (or urate) is an organic compound of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen with the formula C5H4N4O3.

Excessive Uric Acid (or Gout) is the accumulations, from a imbalanced diet with potentially high levels of:
-Purine-rich foods
-Fructose
-Certain Vitamins/Mineral
-Protein

Those elements combined with inadequate hydration and other health issues concerning the kidney and liver can contribute to gout. Gout can be thought of as an extremely severe and painful form of arthritis, with a hard swelling of the joints. It is likely that the pain and stress that chameleons have while suffering from Gout is a strong reason for their death if it comes to that.

Last edited:
As promised here are some links that might help in researching for prevention, or for a solution and cure:

Melissa Kaplan's - Protein, Gout and Renal Failure in Reptiles
The Merck Veterinary Manual - Nutrient Requirements (Breakdown of Nutrients and effects they can produce)
The Merck Veterinary Manual - Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases
The Merck Veterinary Manual - Gout
Mythical Chameleons - Vet Cases (Alternative working Link)
Reptile Republic University - Clinical picture of a veiled chameleon

There are also some books and publications that discuss Gout and similar health issues.

Thanks for the great links.

next time I buy a cham Iplan the take my ham for blood work about 3 months after I buy. Maybe that will help prevent any unforseen problems.

For the next one use Rep-Cal Multi-Vit. It uses only Beta Carotene that is converted into Vitamin A by your chameleon.

Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin

In fact use all...

Schedule Multi, Calcium with D3 fine power, and Calcium no D3 on different days.

The Original Powder with D3 is pretty chunky but I find that is works well with suplimenting live feeds in their gutload mixtures.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom