Keeping track of babies

Does anyone know of a safe way to mark hatchlings and or babies that are still very young? I have multiple clutches hatching currently and i need a way to keep track of whos who.

Do you mean so you can keep track of who the parents are?
Are you planning in putting more than one clutch in a cage?

I need to keep track of an individual. Hes from a different clutch but since hes the only one i pit him in a tub with everyone else. I see other people using what looks like nail polish or markers so im curious what the options are

You can use human nail polish on tails and backs no problem. You may have to clean a little with rubbing alcohol first if you want it to last a few weeks. Zoos have done this for decades for temporary reptile markings. Its not going to seep through the skin and kill the animal or some other old wise tail. After a few min its dry and the animal can even eat the stuff with no ill affects, but lead free paint chips are not as tasty as the old school ones.

I use a dot system to tell individuals apart when I have to keep them grouped. One dot, two dots, three dots, maybe an x...you get the idea.

I use a dot system to tell individuals apart when I have to keep them grouped. One dot, two dots, three dots, maybe an x...you get the idea.

I about lost it when i went to a frilled dragon breeder. It was a pre sale so you had like 10 dragons in a cage, that a large anole might be able to win a fight with. The sold ones each had about a pinky nail sized dot on their backs, different color per customer.

I just like to keep track of my keepers vs possible sale males and when young they change color and pattern A LOT, so I don't want to mistakenly offer one to someone and deliver something else. It just helps me be sure, and it doesn't effect them in the slightest. Oh, and I don't do a swatch anywhere, just a tiny dot, or dots.

Back
Top Bottom