Keeping snails

April McGregor

Established Member
Hey guys!

Been a while since I've been in here. Pickle is doing soo great! He's huge now!

He has just had his first snail!

I am new to snails and want to know the best way to store them and what people are gutloading them with please

Many Thanks in advance

Attachments

• _20190202_111200.JPG
    _20190202_111200.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 97
I have tons of snails, leafy greens and other veggies are what I use 90% of the time. They also like a little protein in their diet, I'll actually cull some roaches 1x a month and throw them in.

I keep mine in a large airtight bin with a few holes plugged with filter floss to allow some oxygen exchange, but still keeping it humid. Coco fiber, sphagnum, and leaf litter make up the substrate which is several inches deep for burrowing and egg laying. Mine seem to like temps in the 70-80 range.

I have tons of snails, leafy greens and other veggies are what I use 90% of the time. They also like a little protein in their diet, I'll actually cull some roaches 1x a month and throw them in.

I keep mine in a large airtight bin with a few holes plugged with filter floss to allow some oxygen exchange, but still keeping it humid. Coco fiber, sphagnum, and leaf litter make up the substrate which is several inches deep for burrowing and egg laying. Mine seem to like temps in the 70-80 range.

Brilliant that's great thanks!

I put one in his tub this morning along with a bunch of locusts, I didn't realise that one of the small locusts were dead and caught the snail eating it?

Do they eat bugs that are dead? Is this OK for Pickle to eat the snail now that the snail has eaten a dead locust?

Are wild caught snails likely to nave parasites that can attack frogs and lizards? I plan to try some this summer.

Back
Top Bottom