Keeping red runners with discoid or dubias

ajs

Avid Member
I'm thinking about trying out some red runners to mix with the Dubias I have been feeding to get them moving around.

Can red runners be kept with either discoid or Dubias in the same container?

Would they breed alongside them as well?

They could possibly do alright, but alright is your best case. I can see red runners stressing dubia out a lot. On the other hand the dubia may eat the ooths red runners lay. Personally I keep them in different conditions, dubia on the dry side, red runners on the humid side. I haven't tried it so I can't say it won't work, but if you're looking for good numbers in your colonies, probably not the best 2 species to mix.

Reactions: ajs
They could possibly do alright, but alright is your best case. I can see red runners stressing dubia out a lot. On the other hand the dubia may eat the ooths red runners lay. Personally I keep them in different conditions, dubia on the dry side, red runners on the humid side. I haven't tried it so I can't say it won't work, but if you're looking for good numbers in your colonies, probably not the best 2 species to mix.
Yeah I figured it'd be best to separate, especially for colonies but I dont have much more room atm and it would be a little interesting to explain another big box of roaches in the house lol.

Maybe once I feed off the dubia I have, I'll look into it again.

Thanks!!

Mixing roaches never ends well as far as breeding for numbers goes. The adults don't necessarily bully each other, but they eat the eggs and nymphs of the other species, the one that breeds the fastest wins.

With orange head roaches, all bets are off, since they are predatory towards other inverts.

Mixing roaches never ends well as far as breeding for numbers goes. The adults don't necessarily bully each other, but they eat the eggs and nymphs of the other species, the one that breeds the fastest wins.

With orange head roaches, all bets are off, since they are predatory towards other inverts.

I've even seen hissers eat each other. I think a lot of roaches are more predatory than we give them credit for

Back
Top Bottom