Keeping male and female baby veiled together overnight?

Stromne

I just got back from the Tinley park reptile breeder convention. I picked up a pretty little baby female veiled chameleon. I already have a male veiled who is only about 4-5 months old. I thought my local pet shop would still be open to get another enclosure, but they are closed. My question is, can I keep them in the same cage for the evening/overnight until i can get to the store tomorrow and get a separate cage? I don't want to leave her in the plastic cup overnight, but I don;t want the male to get aggressive with the female either.

I wouldn't take the chance. A potted plant in the bathtub (with the drain closed) might work if you have nothing else to keep her in.

Ditto. Keep them separated. A) to avoid any stress to your new baby and your existing cham, and B) because proper quarantine is always always always good practice. The bathtub idea will work fine in a pinch.

Keep them separated.

If the male is 5 months and the one you got is just a baby.. It is possible he could EAT, not JUST stress out the baby.

Keep them separated.

If the male is 5 months and the one you got is just a baby.. It is possible he could EAT, not JUST stress out the baby.

That's what I'm thinking. I've seen my Cham shoot at small lizards that where climbing up the outside of her screened cage. :eek:

I put the female in a large tuperware with a hole in the top, a couple of sticks, and the 3 smallest crickets I could find in my colony for the night.

It's actually not recommended to leave crickets in with your cham overnight as the crickets will eat its skin :(

I think crickets eating the skin of your cham is largely a myth but I would take the crickets out at night as well. I could maybe see the crickets getting at their eyes but from what I've heard, everyone has heard the rumor from someone else. That being said, for safety's sake, there's no reason to leave the crickets in there at night. The cham won't be eating anything at night and that's when the crickets are most active. If they probably won't harm it but they will be bothersome. Best give the girl a good nights rest!

Back
Top Bottom