keeping locusts.

lizzleberry

My chameleon has recently decided not to eat crickets but to eat locusts. i've never had much difficulty keeping crickets as they survive long enough in tubs of about 10 with a milk carton lid of bug gel and bug grub. i tried this with locusts but things got mouldy quickly and they died pretty much instantly.
I have set up what i think might be a suitable place to keep them;
I put pascals old 38 gallon flexarium together, next to his 65 gallon flex so they share heat and Uvb, the locusts flexarium has a few fake vines and plants in it. at the bottom i have a small tub of bug gel and a bigger tub with bug grub and bran mixed together. i will also get a tub and fill that with dandelion leaves and carrots.
I would like to be able to breed them but so far have not found anywhere with specific instructions - a website said get a tub of "silver sand" and the guys at the shop said something about tubes :s
any help would be great, thanks

Hi there!

I had the same problem as you when we first got Teal', she wouldn't eat crickets at all though! All she would eat for a while were locusts but we slowly managed to fit crickets into a rotation with two or three other feeders.

She still goes opff things every now and then but usually always eats the locusts still.

i found this Locust care sheet and although it's about keeping locusts as pets, I think it would help you with the general upkeep :)

Back
Top Bottom