Keeping Humidity High

mjcham1

Hi I'm new to the forms so sorry if I don't post correctly.

I have a 7 month old, female veiled chameleon and I've been having trouble keeping the humidity up in her enclosure.

I have a fogger, have a shower curtain cover 3 sides, a dripper, a live pothos plant and I mist about 3-4 times a day yet still find it hard to keep her humidity up around 60-70%. At night it tend to fall really low. I was also wondering were I should put the hygrometer? As of right now I don't have a digital one but I ordered one and have it coming in the mail tomorrow.

I was just wondering what I can do to keep her humidity up? I live in the desert and it's starting to get really hot outside so I tend to have the A/C on put I try not to keep it on in the room where she's at. When it was cooler I didn't have these problems but suddenly it's become harder to keep her humidity up so I recently added the shower curtains but besides that nothing has changed.

At night it tend to fall really low.

How low is the humidity falling? Also, keep in mind humidity fluctuations are perfectly normal in the wild and your chameleon will be fine. As far trying to keep the humidity up I would invest in a humidify, not one of those reptifoggers, check out Amazon for some relatively cheap options that will help out.

Id use a humidifier with hygrostat to bump the room up to 50% or so then misting will taken care of spikes.

Don't measure humidity under the baskingspot either, measure in the ambient part , like half way down.

How low is the humidity falling? Also, keep in mind humidity fluctuations are perfectly normal in the wild and your chameleon will be fine. As far trying to keep the humidity up I would invest in a humidify, not one of those reptifoggers, check out Amazon for some relatively cheap options that will help out.
The humidity will fall to around 30 and that's usually at night. but thanks for the advice about the humidifier I'll definitely look into it!

Id use a humidifier with hygrostat to bump the room up to 50% or so then misting will taken care of spikes.

Don't measure humidity under the baskingspot either, measure in the ambient part , like half way down.
I'm definitely going to look into the humidifier.
And okay I had it before in a corner like near the door but I think I'm going to move it somewhere else. I think the hydrostat might be a little off which is why I got a new digital one coming in the mail.

The humidifier works great but if you need to figure out a way to save some budgeting in your financial status you're going to have to invest in a little DYI project okay now that I have your attention you're going to have to get a tarp and lay it out underneath the cage blocking your wall or any kind of electrical outlets that could get wet in the process from becoming moldy or destroying your home with an electrical fire as for the water collected in the tarp consider this will be your fuel to a reasonable humidity level which has to be tropical between 50 and 60 the humidity drop that you're experiencing in the night is because there's not enough water to keep it humid Inside the Cage the tarp will collect the water which would be the fuel to you hydrometer especially underneath the Basking light because as the water collects in the bottom it creates the cycle of humidity as it evaporates underneath the Heat especially underneath the basking light I repeat what I usually do is spray to three times a day all over the place and I also have a big block of distilled ice that I lay on top of the cage dripping down to a Cascade of leaves going all the way down to the bottom with a collection of water inside of cool looking reptile Aztec bucket not 2 deep enough to drown mychameleon with a stick going down In the bucket hue & Goliath can drink from the cool reptile bucket now water overflow will happen that's why the tarp is there this is good and as you spray water will drip down to the bottom keep it nice and puddly the puddle will keep that humidity as you have a heat lamp continuously emitting Heat creating tadaaaa evaporation which triggers humidity levels despite the dripper being water drops from Ice you will have the perfect humidity level

Back
Top Bottom