Keeping feeders outside?

devol

I'm getting ready for my first Chameleon and I'm curious if I can keep his soon to be meals out side. I will be using crickets at first then adding locust and roaches and horn worms for variety. Can theses be kept outdoors? Thank you in advance for your info.

I keep my roaches outside, but I don't like to do that with my crickets because they got hot and smelly and seem to die faster.

It depends - if you don't close off the container you'll end up feeding the entire neighborhood (geckos, lizards, frogs, etc.) but if you don't you may end up with soggy, moldy bedding. So if you can figure out how to provide ventilation while keeping your insect stock yours alone, you can probably get away with it.

I think it goes without saying that they shouldn't go where they get blasted by sun all day long either. It can get super hot in a container very quickly when in direct sun.

It very much depends where you live. In Scotland they wouldn't last five mins outside. I keep them in kitchen in the winter and move them into the garage when it gets warmer.

Back
Top Bottom