Keeping Dubias

Fenway

I keep my dubia colony in a regular 29 gallon aquarium. It has egg crates, a screen lid, and for heat I use a 100 watt red bulb because I read somewhere that roaches can't see light in the red wavelength. It doesn't seem to bother them. I water them with water crystals and feed them with a mixture of cornmeal, oatmeal, Fluker's high calcium cricket diet, and a small amount of tropical fish flakes. They seem to be reproducing well, but are taking a long time to grow. I have numerous babies, but they are still pretty small after several months. Since my chameleons are adults I have been feeding them full grown roaches and my roaches are too small to bother feeding yet. I plan on looking for a higher watt red light bulb to produce more heat and hopefully grow the roaches faster. Is there anything else I can add to the food to help them grow faster? Are there any other changes I can make to grow them faster?

Heat from the bottom may be easier for them to get into the 90 degree range.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

I tried heat mats before, but only the glass felt warm. It didn't carry up into the egg crates, which is why I like the lightbulb better. My roaches weren't reproducing at all and none ever molted with the heat mats. Nothing happened for a couple months. Right after I switched to the light bulbs they started dropping babies and molting and growing.

Agree with Nick.
I have only ever used a 20w heat mat, under an old open top fish tank. Never had any problems with the roaches breeding.

Back
Top Bottom