Keeping Chams Outside

jimsta

I live in South Florida and was wondering if anyone else down here (or anywhere else) kept their chams outside.

If you do here are some q's....

1. Do you leave them outside all year?
2. What species do you have?
3. Where do you live?
4. Do you still have a basking/UVB lamp?

By the way.....the 2 chams that I have are currently kept indoors. Just wondering if there were any I could keep outside.

Hi Jimsta,
Im currently succesfully keeping and breeding Panther chameleons outside in South Florida I live in Plantation. As far as being outside year round there out there rain or shine, but during the winter months which isn't to cold they remain outside just as long as it stays in the hi 50's to low 60's and warms up during the day. If it remains cold during the day and just gets colder at night i wouldnt recommend it. The other bigthing is study your yard or where your going to keep them you want to make sure that they don't get to much sun light and that they over heat . Another recommendation is hook up a misting system on a timer it's only beneficial for the chams. Two species I currently keep and breed are Veilds and Panthers. Let me know If you need any other help. :D P.S. As long as there getting sun light there is so need for artificial light

Thanks for the quick reply. I live in West Palm beach so I am not too too far from you. I was thinking of maybe getting putting mine outside for the end of the summer/all of fall. I have a panther and a veiled. Do you keep yours completely outside or under a porch/rooftop.

I have a Promist 50 that I am currently using. So misting is not a problem. And I was thinking of putting them on the side of the house where the cage could be in half sunlight/half shade.

Or on the porch which gets sunlight for about 4 hours in the morning.

Do you worry about ants or anything? If so how do you combat them?

Thanks for the quick reply. I live in West Palm beach so I am not too too far from you. I was thinking of maybe getting putting mine outside for the end of the summer/all of fall. I have a panther and a veiled. Do you keep yours completely outside or under a porch/rooftop.

I have a Promist 50 that I am currently using. So misting is not a problem. And I was thinking of putting them on the side of the house where the cage could be in half sunlight/half shade.

Or on the porch which gets sunlight for about 4 hours in the morning.

Do you worry about ants or anything? If so how do you combat them?

No problem on the quick reply. All my chameleons even babies are kept outside completly. Your misting system is fine so your good there. For the ants I spray very carefully the outside edge's of the cages so that no ants will be an issue. Hopefuuly this answers your questions if you have anymore just post away. :)

You could also put the enclosure(s) on legs, if they're not already, and keep the legs in buckets or pans of water.
Make sure everything is very secure and safe from any larger predators as well.

-Brad

Crazy- Do you provide shade on half the cage or do you rely on thick foliage to get shade? Also, do you have any pics of your setup?

Brad- Thanks for the water bucket idea, i might be using it.

Crazy- Do you provide shade on half the cage or do you rely on thick foliage to get shade? Also, do you have any pics of your setup?

Brad- Thanks for the water bucket idea, i might be using it.

Hey Jimsta I rely on thick foliaage in the cages to provide shade. I use hibiscus in the cages they have very large leaves so the chams can escape from the sun when needed. I will attach a pic or two in this post.

Attachments

• Adult Setup.jpg
    Adult Setup.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 227
Thank you very much.....you have answered all my questions. I will most likely be putting my cages outdoors shortly. I will post pics so you can give me your opinion.

Back
Top Bottom