Keeping Chameleons outside FLORIDA

SJRG95

We just moved into a new house and it has a back porch that is fully covered.
I was wondering what all I needed to do to keep my chams outside.
Some info:
Male Panther 1 year old
Female Veiled 2 years old
The sun does not get in directly so they wont be in direct sun. I have a dripper in both cages going at all times to make sure they have constant access.
I have a UVB/UVA light for each of them- should I have a heat lamp? It gets pretty hot here usually around upper 80s to upper 90s all day long

They have lots of plants to hide in.
What all should i Change or do to keep them happy and healthy?
Thanks a bunch!

I live in Florida also and have a large screened in patio. My patio is made of aluminum and it gets hot out there. Uvb yes, heat no, at least not now. You might want to add a low wattage housebulb like a 25 or one of those twisted bulbs that does not give off heat just to brighten up the cage. They nay bask under it also just because it is bright. It will be an ideal place for them during the winter. Just bring them in if it gets too cold like below 50

Honestly, they can take temps lower than that and will survive. We have wild populations of Veilds that are thriving all year long in the Everglades. My cut off is around 50 and I bring them in. I did leave one of my Panthers out one night and it got down to 43. It was not supposed to get that low! He was cold but alive the next day!

Full of envy. Just not below 50° like carol said. You should see a benefit to them being outdoors. That night time temp drop just flat out stimulates their eating. You may notice them eating a couple more crickets a day. :D Your female may develop more infertile cluthes, also. :( But, there is no healthier cham, than an outdoor cham.

Back
Top Bottom