Keeping chameleon in sunroom.

Crashbandit05

Avid Member
Hello CF members, been awhile since my last post here. As of right now my panther is being kept upstairs in the bedroom which isn't the most ideal space. We have no hvac system installed yet (70 year old house with incredibly outdated ducting/electrical/etc) so it gets quite warm like 80+* inside upstairs during the afternoon.

The sunroom has a digital temperature gauge that I've been monitoring but the temperature still gets up to 80. It will cool down quickly in the evening and after a rain shower. There is also a ceiling fan but I haven't turned it on yet to see if it'll lower the ambient temperature (which I imagine would only be a few degrees).

Does anyone have experience keeping their chameleon in a similar environment? I'll also have to think of something else when October arrives and generally our first snow fall. I imagine it'll get too cold with the giant window panes and such. I'm not sure what my options are with this being our first house and have yet to spend a winter season in. Attached are a few pics of said room, excuse the mess as we are still arraigning stuff.
There are also drains/slots on the one wall which would work great for drainage/runoff from the mister. I live in Western NC where the weather is more northeastern like than southeast.
IMG_20180623_090546.jpg
IMG_20180623_090551.jpg
IMG_20180623_090605.jpg
IMG_20180623_090620.jpg

It looks like it's just asking to be a cham room! There are a few modifications that can help. We have a sun room that is used for our birds. Not sure what direction the room faces, but getting hit with sun, the windows heat it up quick. If you are able to add some sort of awning made of shade cloth on the outside of the sun room, to help keep direct sunlight off the windows, it will help tons. The other thing is ceiling insulation. Not sure the construction of the room, ours was an add on and was just wood and shingles for it's roof. After we added insulation, it helped stabilize the temps a lot for summer and winter.

Should just turn that room into one giant melleri room! I would keep a fan circulating air, I do that even when it's cooler. My cham rooms during the summer are pretty warm usually ambient high 70s to 80. Havent noticed any problems, although my one cham recently had a yellow urate so I'm gunna up my misting time in the AM.

If you can spare the expense, maybe a portable AC and space heater with thermostats. Just set the AC to keep it slightly below 80 and the heat to be at 55. They probably wouldn't turn on much and use tons of electricity, but they'd be a safety net for the more extreme months.

Should just turn that room into one giant melleri room! I would keep a fan circulating air, I do that even when it's cooler. My cham rooms during the summer are pretty warm usually ambient high 70s to 80. Havent noticed any problems, although my one cham recently had a yellow urate so I'm gunna up my misting time in the AM.

If you can spare the expense, maybe a portable AC and space heater with thermostats. Just set the AC to keep it slightly below 80 and the heat to be at 55. They probably wouldn't turn on much and use tons of electricity, but they'd be a safety net for the more extreme months.
What wattage bulb do you use for basking? I think my 100w will be too much for ambient high 70s/80 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom