KEEPING AND BREEDING OVIPAROUS CHAMELEONS ROBERT BUSTARD...

Still surprises me that he knew as much as he did that early on in the "hobby".
This article does not surprise me. This article more reminds me of reading the first CIN articles. Chameleon husbandry was not the same back then as chameleon husbandry is today. That time period chameleon keepers did have access to not as many resources and keepers had to improvise much more.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

For sure husbandry wasn't the same back then. There was very little information anywhere that we could go by.there was nothing that came close to the caging we have today...I had most of my cages custom made to be able to still have glass but try to get some airflow in them too. It was not easy here in Ontario to keep the cages warm enough in the winter and still have air flow and proper humidity without ending up with health issues. The only UVB lights we could get were vitalites.

The first few chameleons I had were lucky that they were tough and that I just happened to chose somewhat right environments.

I think Robert Bustard did well considering the times.

Last edited:
For sure husbandry wasn't the same back then. There was very little information anywhere that we could go by.there was nothing that came close to the caging we have today...I had most of my cages custom made to be able to still have glass but try to get some airflow in them too. It was not easy here in Ontario to keep the cages warm enough in the winter and still have air flow and proper humidity without ending up with health issues. The only UVB lights we could get were vitalites.

The first few chameleons I had were lucky that they were tough and that I just happened to chose somewhat right environments.

I think Robert Bustard did well considering the times.
Vita lights. Memories. I had more than a couple of those 4 foot tube vita lights. Those were great until they were replaced by ZooMeds tube light.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I remember people using black tube lights for some of their lizards but not for chameleons. I always thought they were a bad idea for any lizards because I wasn't sure if they would recognize it as light/UVB or not and would get too much of it.

Being so new to the hobby, it’s fascinating to see the beginnings of figuring out husbandry/keeping. Although it seems the author was cohabiting chameleons, I do like that he says minimum enclosure size is 3’ wide. How did we ever devolve to just 2’ wide?

Back
Top Bottom