Karma undigested food.

KarmaChameleon1337

Avid Member
Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - CB Senegal chameleon, male, unknown but above 1 year and 3 months, had him since Christmas.
Handling - Around every 2 days, he enjoys people and never gets mad.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? I feed him crickets and brown moths, he doesn't like any type of worms so I turn waxworms into moths for treats which he loves. I feed 2-4 crickets a day when I get home from school, I gutload them with freshfruits and veggies (not lettuce since I heard it had low value), Fluker's high calcium cricket diet, and Fluker's calcium fortified cricket quencher.
Supplements - sticky tongue farms miner-all O everday, Fluker's caclium phosphorous free with D3 twice a month, don't have packaging for multivitam, but twice a month.
Watering - I use a hand pumped mister from exo-terra, was going to buy a mjst king soon, mist 3 times a day for around 3-4 minutes.
Fecal Description - White urine with brown, mushy and recently half of his food is easily seen. No fecal tests yet.
History- ignorantly bought from a local store who I didn't realize hadn't had a UVB in him for god knows how long. He had a 2 foot fall a few months after I got him and has 4 small bumps on his side, one on each rib in a row.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Full screen, handmade about 2x2x4.
Lighting - Reptisun 5.0, just replaced the old one a week ago, and a 70 watt basking heat lamp.
Temperature- basking at 85 ish, lower around 70. I had a cheap thing from the petstore to measure but it doesn't give as accurate temps as I'd like. Buying a digital one.
Humidity - Unknown at this second do to as I just said a crappy measuring thing, buying digital, but it usually stays in the 50-60 range. I have real plants and am thinking of putting a shower curtain on some sides.
Plants - Two Lowes-bought palms I was told were safe, mom threw tags away, correct me if I'm wrong about them being safe.
Placement - My bedroom, on my desk which is 3 feet off the ground, not near any fans but a vent is around 5 feet
Location- Virginia.

Current Problem - His last fecal looks undigested and he has something hanging from his butt. I'll get pics if possible, it's white, so I assume a sperm plyg, tried a shower. Will try again, not going to pull on it for fear of hurting my baby.

Pictures are helpful

Just gave him another shower, he looked to be enjoying it, I'm wait til the water in my cage dries before getting a picture, I don't want it to drip and ruin my phone.

Sorry Karma nope. My first thought was heat since that helps in digestion, but yours is were it should be.

If it is a sperm plug, keep the humidity on the high side and keep an eye on it. Mine usually have theirs hanging for a day, then eventually they rub them off on a branch. Good luck...

try soaking him in warm water & massage gently towards the base of the tail that will help dislodge it. My veiled was infamous for impacted sperm plugs

Did you feed him later this day than other days? Perhaps he just didn't have time to digest it thoroughly before he pooped the next day.

As for the sperm plug, mine get them all the time. If they don't get them off themselves then I pull on them with tweezers. They usually slide right out without any effort. If you feel competent then you can just pull them, if not, leave them be and they'll come out on their own.

hi karma, this is the only poo she has had undigested at the moment. so, im going to give you some options if there is indeed a problem. somewhere in Virginia im sure is getting pretty cold this time of year. I see that you dont have a digital therm to test. I find that the walmart temp/humidity gauges with a probe are pretty nice. I think we need to start with that first. What are your ambient temps in the house (during the day and at night)?

If you find that your temps are within safe range. I would think maybe she engorged herself and if the undigested poo's continue, gut bacterial infection or she may have parasites.

temps: make sure they are correct.

engorged: may have eaten 2 much.

bacterial infection: you can try this concoction under bacterial infection.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/ataraxia/482-issues-body-region-internal.html

parasites: you will have to have her feces examined

Id like to see pics of what is hanging out of the vent.

good luck.

I tend to think that "one" of anything is not a huge problem. It's a reason to be attentive, but not a reason to panic. If Karma continues to fail to digest, I would be concerned.

imo, personally i would withhold food for about a week, to give its system time to catch up on any unresolved digestive or metabolic issues, and when you re-introduce feeders i would try and use a different selection of feeders than you have previously been using. you could order some blue bottle spikes from mantisplace.com. adult blue bottles are soft and easy to digest.
probably a good idea to submit a fecal, digestive issues are sometimes related to excessive calcium or d3, so might also be a good idea to repost using the help form.

Back
Top Bottom