Karma before and after her fall

Sory this took me so long so Karma has been diagnosed with MBD and possibly broken ribs and many even a fractured spine she is not doing well I did make her a hospital bin one question should I have a heat lamp directly shining on the towels on the bottom of the bin is it safe? Also to answer your questions the picture where she is uninjured was taken two days before she fell she is barely moving currently and close to unrisponsive I had and surenge feed her now View attachment 273918
Did they do an xray or bloodwork? Did they give you liquid calcium for the MBD? If it is a fractured spine I think you really should consider her quality of life. Especially since she is a female and at some point will develop eggs. IF she is unable to lay them she will become egg bound and die. She can not be force fed carnivore care her entire life. That is meant for short term feeding. The lighting for UVB is incorrect this is why she developed MBD. You have to use a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 UVB bulb for her.

IMG_20200805_072059977.jpg

The light fixture is temporary because her original one disfunctioned and this is all the local pet store had I am working on getting a new one she actually developed MBD because of the food I was giving the crickets and no she hasn't had an exeray and I don't think she has a fractured spine I know she has broken bones but I don't know which ones the vet only told me what It appeared to be but we don't know yet because she hasn't yet had an exeray she did have blood work done I am not feeding her carnivore care I am hand feeding her crickets and she Is getting liquid calcium she's doing slightly better now

The light fixture is temporary because her original one disfunctioned and this is all the local pet store had I am working on getting a new one she actually developed MBD because of the food I was giving the crickets and no she hasn't had an exeray and I don't think she has a fractured spine I know she has broken bones but I don't know which ones the vet only told me what It appeared to be but we don't know yet because she hasn't yet had an exeray she did have blood work done I am not feeding her carnivore care I am hand feeding her crickets and she Is getting liquid calcium she's doing slightly better now
ummmm so what was the food you were giving the crickets? I have NEVER heard of them developing MBD from this. Unless you were feeding a calcium binding food. Interested to know. MBD is almost always linked to improper lighting. When people are either using the compact screw in coil bulbs or do not have the correct distances to basking when using a T5HO or T8.

Supplementation can be linked as in what you are using on the feeders. But primary UVB should be utilization from UVB lighting and natural D3 conversion from light not supplementation. Otherwise over supplementation can happen leading to D3 toxicity.

were you feeding the crickets spinach?

You said.."I give the crickets Flukers orange cube complete cricket diet and Flukers cricket quencher I dust the crickets with Flukers calcium before I feed them she gets five a day"...I would ditch the orange cubes and feed the cricket dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, and a tiny bit of apples, pers, berries, play, mango, etc.
Supplements should be dusted lightly on the crickets like this...
Phos free calcium powder on all feedings each week but one and on the remaining one alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder with a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A.This leaves it up to you to provide a prEformed source of vitamin A if needed and proper UVB to allow the chameleon to produce the rest of the D3 it needs.

I was feeding the crickets Flukers cricket food as well as the cricket quencher they weren't getting fresh veggies so they were practically starving I didn't know because they looked fine but I did notice they kept dying I complained to the pet store I got them from but they told me it was just because if one dies they all do due to a peramone they release when they die that is poisonous to the others when while that may be true the reason they were dying was that the food I was sold at that store had little to no nutritional value Karma was getting starving crickets therefore they were of little nutritional value to her in addition the calcium powder that was meant for outdoor chameleons the moral of the story is ALWAYS read small print and Don't trust pet smart for advice on chameleon nutrition

You said.."I give the crickets Flukers orange cube complete cricket diet and Flukers cricket quencher I dust the crickets with Flukers calcium before I feed them she gets five a day"...I would ditch the orange cubes and feed the cricket dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, and a tiny bit of apples, pers, berries, play, mango, etc.
Supplements should be dusted lightly on the crickets like this...
Phos free calcium powder on all feedings each week but one and on the remaining one alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder with a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A.This leaves it up to you to provide a prEformed source of vitamin A if needed and proper UVB to allow the chameleon to produce the rest of the D3 it needs.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom