K. matschiei fresh imports

Mike Fisher

Established Member
Here's a photo of one of my fresh import females. They got here yesterday.

Attachments

• matschiei 001.jpg
    matschiei 001.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 252
Very nice, do you any males? Are you going to try and get more?

I will be keeping my eyes peeled for WC males. i do not have any, but my plan is to try to get a clutch out of the bigger female before pairing her up. I think the one in the photo might be too young to have already bred in the wild, but it might be worth a chance to wait and see. If needed I will buy a CB male or work out a stud arrangement favorable to both parties.

Since the cat is out of the bag on these...........

Apparently some importers and middlemen can't tell fischeri apart so if it means buying mix and match and sorting when they arrive, you do what you gotta do..... :) Needless to say that my collection of multis is growing as a result.

Ultimately I'd like to stick to only one of the fischeri species to save room to start my quads again, but from the looks of it, that might be awhile. I want to stick to two species maximum, both montaine.

One thing I noticed in the past few days that I've had them.....The matschiei haven't been basking a lot like the multis do. The articles I've read on both species tend towards similar wild habitats/temperatures, but I'm starting to wonder if there are differences that have not been fully documented. It seems like it has been harder to keep my multis warm enough, but the mats seem really content so far.

The mats live closer to the ocean and in forest that is denser, shadier and moister. Their average temperature is more stable because of that. Where multis must search for some sunlight to warm up in the morning, and eventually run from that sun to not overheat, the mats can just count on a warm air mass from the indian ocean to set the thermostat. If you keep mats like multis you may fail but multis will be fine year round in a nice moist east usambara jungle.

I will be keeping my eyes peeled for WC males. i do not have any, but my plan is to try to get a clutch out of the bigger female before pairing her up. I think the one in the photo might be too young to have already bred in the wild, but it might be worth a chance to wait and see. If needed I will buy a CB male or work out a stud arrangement favorable to both parties.

Since the cat is out of the bag on these...........

Apparently some importers and middlemen can't tell fischeri apart so if it means buying mix and match and sorting when they arrive, you do what you gotta do..... :) Needless to say that my collection of multis is growing as a result.

Ultimately I'd like to stick to only one of the fischeri species to save room to start my quads again, but from the looks of it, that might be awhile. I want to stick to two species maximum, both montaine.

Yeah Male K.Mats are awesome!! My K.mats almost never bask. I offered to buy those three females, since I am working with K.Mats but since they had someone like you who would buy their "pairs" they were not interested in only selling the females to me:rolleyes:
Good luck with finding a male for these girls and getting them cleaned up, luckily they look really good for WC chams so things should go relatively smooth for you. To my knowledge there are only two adult males in the country that are breeding size/age.
904350_10151297514446895_615155061_n.jpg

Parsonii are not supposed to bask either however when I go into the greenhouse first thing in the morning my male does bask. He is definitely not a sun worshiper similar to a Furcifer pardalis or Chamaeleo calyptratus. I would not be surprised especially if you kept your Kinyonia matchiei outside after a cool night that you would spot them basking in the morning.

I offered to buy those three females, since I am working with K.Mats but since they had someone like you who would buy their "pairs" they were not interested in only selling the females to me:rolleyes:

Don't think I didn't try that approach first. Your male looks incredible!

Gorgeous male!! Female looks nice too.

Glad to hear these animals went to a good place with a good breeding future hopefully

Last edited:
The mats live closer to the ocean and in forest that is denser, shadier and moister. Their average temperature is more stable because of that. Where multis must search for some sunlight to warm up in the morning, and eventually run from that sun to not overheat, the mats can just count on a warm air mass from the indian ocean to set the thermostat. If you keep mats like multis you may fail but multis will be fine year round in a nice moist east usambara jungle.

That's good info, thanks. I plan on doing something different with my setup for the winter months to hold in some heat. My quads did fine as is, but I can already tell that it would be way too cold for Kinyonga. I may end up doing some mostly enclosed habitats, or maybe some removable panels for the existing setup.

Back
Top Bottom