juvi melleri opinions

Jimturner

Established Member
I recently purchased 2 juvi mellers, about 3.5 inches snout to vent in size now. I currently am housing them together in a 12x12x24 screen cage. It seems an appropriate size and both are doing well, eating, drinking, basking , etc. They usually sleep touching snouts. My question is, do you think I should separate them? I have read that juvi mellers do well in groups and learn social behaviours that are beneficial to future group life. This seems like a good idea but goes against what I know about other species. If they were panthers or veileds I would have them separated by now. What do you think?

I would leave them together but keep an eye on them to make sure one isn't subtley bullying the other.I've read young ones can do real well in groups.

I too would leave them together and I believe that Melleri are one of the few chams that "need" to be with other chams. If you read the Melleri Discovery they talk about single melleri improving after being placed in a harem. Personally I would not own just one melleri due to this. Of course common sense tells you to keep an eye on them.

Even as adults melleri are pretty social for chameleons. I would keep them together but make sure theres no food/territory struggles going on.

Back
Top Bottom