Juvenile vs adult care

Arpretty

Avid Member
Happy new year folks.

My boyfriend and I are considering getting a juvenile male veiled chameleon after losing our adult male recently.

We feel very comfortable caring for an adult, but I haven’t cared for a juvenile before. I was searching through the forums and couldn’t really find the information what I was looking for.... I was hoping to get some insight on caring for a juvenile vs an adult, and if an adult enclosure needs to be modified for the needs of a juvenile, especially concerning lighting.

Happy new year folks.

My boyfriend and I are considering getting a juvenile male veiled chameleon after losing our adult male recently.

We feel very comfortable caring for an adult, but I haven’t cared for a juvenile before. I was searching through the forums and couldn’t really find the information what I was looking for.... I was hoping to get some insight on caring for a juvenile vs an adult, and if an adult enclosure needs to be modified for the needs of a juvenile, especially concerning lighting.
It is basically the same. The only differences will be feeding amounts/frequency and basking temp. All this depends on the actual age of the chameleon. Where are you buying it from?
Post pics of your enclosure lighting down.

IME and opinion, the best advice will likely come from the breeder, who will have gotten the juvenile through those first critical weeks/months. Choose wisely, and all should go well. ;)

I stuck my foot in my mouth with the “we feel very comfortable” part. I’m actually feeling really scared of getting a chameleon again.

Spyro died very suddenly. We believe it was likely a combination of a respiratory infection and stress - we recently moved into a new home with very different air quality, humidity, and circulation.

As far as where I would get another chameleon from, I haven’t gotten that far yet. I’m just testing the waters at this point and trying to decide if it’s the move I want to make...We have even discussed starting totally over with a new type of enclosure if we were to get another chameleon.

Attachments

• D2ACAD2C-BE73-43F9-A1AB-543424D62F09.jpeg
    D2ACAD2C-BE73-43F9-A1AB-543424D62F09.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 63CBF0CE-E810-4C89-9014-97D2D79F7E26.jpeg
    63CBF0CE-E810-4C89-9014-97D2D79F7E26.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 4A907ADB-EF06-47B0-A6D9-E5476989A407.jpeg
    4A907ADB-EF06-47B0-A6D9-E5476989A407.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 96
  • A02475E3-ADE6-4619-84C3-90A675DF756A.jpeg
    A02475E3-ADE6-4619-84C3-90A675DF756A.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 97
  • CF5A44AB-835C-43FE-A75E-AD471DC94D69.jpeg
    CF5A44AB-835C-43FE-A75E-AD471DC94D69.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 101
I stuck my foot in my mouth with the “we feel very comfortable” part. I’m actually feeling really scared of getting a chameleon again.

Spyro died very suddenly. We believe it was likely a combination of a respiratory infection and stress - we recently moved into a new home with very different air quality, humidity, and circulation.

As far as where I would get another chameleon from, I haven’t gotten that far yet. I’m just testing the waters at this point and trying to decide if it’s the move I want to make...We have even discussed starting totally over with a new type of enclosure if we were to get another chameleon.
I don't want to come off negative or rude... I am just being honest. A new home would make very little impact per your husbandry and what you provide in the enclosure. IF it was a respiratory infection this is most commonly due to over misting and bacterial growth from the cage not drying out. And or un clean conditions in the cage. Fogging during the day when the temps are hot creates the same environment. Fake plants are also dangerous for Veileds and an impaction risk since they eat plants. Chameleons have very specific care requirements. They hide illness really well. Honestly they are one of the hardest animals I have ever had.

So I would just learn more before you jump back in.

I would advice reading through these links... This is what and how you need to provide it for them to have what they need. When your done you will have a crash course and then ask us any questions you may have.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

I don't want to come off negative or rude... I am just being honest. A new home would make very little impact per your husbandry and what you provide in the enclosure. IF it was a respiratory infection this is most commonly due to over misting and bacterial growth from the cage not drying out. And or un clean conditions in the cage. Fogging during the day when the temps are hot creates the same environment. Fake plants are also dangerous for Veileds and an impaction risk since they eat plants. Chameleons have very specific care requirements. They hide illness really well. Honestly they are one of the hardest animals I have ever had.

So I would just learn more before you jump back in.

I would advice reading through these links... This is what and how you need to provide it for them to have what they need. When your done you will have a crash course and then ask us any questions you may have.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Thank you for your input. I was at a bit of a loss because where we moved to has incredibly dry air and it seems as though something used for sanitizing prior to us moving in also caused lingering irritants. I’m saying this because for the first week we were here, my boyfriend and I both had irritated eyes and sore throats and there was a lingering “chemical” odor.

Up until recently, we were waking up constantly throughout the night with awful sore throats and dry lips. My skin was also flaking badly from dryness. I put a heavy duty humidifier in our bedroom and that has helped tremendously. I put a smaller humidifier by Spyro’s enclosure and I see I made the mistake of running it during the day where I should have had it on at night. I just saw his humidity level drop so low during the day. .. if we were feeling those effects, I can only imagine what he was feeling...

No doubt that I certainly have a hand in his loss of life, as I was his caretaker, but the air quality issues here are concerning. I’m waiting for the spring to evaluate how a different season feels here.

I will be sure to read up on what you attached if we do decide to get another chameleon.

Thank you for your input. I was at a bit of a loss because where we moved to has incredibly dry air and it seems as though something used for sanitizing prior to us moving in also caused lingering irritants. I’m saying this because for the first week we were here, my boyfriend and I both had irritated eyes and sore throats and there was a lingering “chemical” odor.

Up until recently, we were waking up constantly throughout the night with awful sore throats and dry lips. My skin was also flaking badly from dryness. I put a heavy duty humidifier in our bedroom and that has helped tremendously. I put a smaller humidifier by Spyro’s enclosure and I see I made the mistake of running it during the day where I should have had it on at night. I just saw his humidity level drop so low during the day. .. if we were feeling those effects, I can only imagine what he was feeling...

No doubt that I certainly have a hand in his loss of life, as I was his caretaker, but the air quality issues here are concerning. I’m waiting for the spring to evaluate how a different season feels here.

I will be sure to read up on what you attached if we do decide to get another chameleon.
It is very possible that they used something cleaning that contributed to issues. Their lungs are very very sensitive... So if there was a chemical used say on the carpets that lingered then yes that could cause harm.

Depending on where you live there are options though... Like daytime humidity. If you have lower humidity it may not be an issue. For a Veiled they are only needing 30% so if your getting that in the daytime your fine. If not then just running a cool mist humidifier in the room where the cham is will safely increase ambient humidity.

I love the links I gave you and really wish that website was available when I first started out. It is a great way to learn quickly but also it is absolutely correct advice. There are even podcasts where you can learn so much more.

It is very possible that they used something cleaning that contributed to issues. Their lungs are very very sensitive... So if there was a chemical used say on the carpets that lingered then yes that could cause harm.

Depending on where you live there are options though... Like daytime humidity. If you have lower humidity it may not be an issue. For a Veiled they are only needing 30% so if your getting that in the daytime your fine. If not then just running a cool mist humidifier in the room where the cham is will safely increase ambient humidity.

I love the links I gave you and really wish that website was available when I first started out. It is a great way to learn quickly but also it is absolutely correct advice. There are even podcasts where you can learn so much more.

Awesome, thank you again for the information! I appreciate it. I just want to feel confident before we take on another one. We loved Spyro so much, losing him has been devastating. It would be neat to start with a juvenile on our next venture.

I’ve listened to Bill Strand’s podcast before and I think I need to get back on that! We’d also like to upgrade to a Dragon Strand.

Awesome, thank you again for the information! I appreciate it. I just want to feel confident before we take on another one. We loved Spyro so much, losing him has been devastating. It would be neat to start with a juvenile on our next venture.

I’ve listened to Bill Strand’s podcast before and I think I need to get back on that! We’d also like to upgrade to a Dragon Strand.

I think you have the right idea... I am 2 years into the hobby and still worry. I have a good grasp on all the basics but honestly there is a lot of critical thinking required with these guys that I did not expect. So understanding the basics becomes important when it comes to identifying that something is wrong. In my opinion at least lol

But if you get another one. You do not one younger then 3-4 months old. And honestly there are not many differences at all. :)

I think you have the right idea... I am 2 years into the hobby and still worry. I have a good grasp on all the basics but honestly there is a lot of critical thinking required with these guys that I did not expect. So understanding the basics becomes important when it comes to identifying that something is wrong. In my opinion at least lol

But if you get another one. You do not one younger then 3-4 months old. And honestly there are not many differences at all. :)

Do you have any recommendations for breeders for veileds? We inherited ours as an adult, so I’ve never looked into breeders...

Back
Top Bottom