Juvenile veiled chameleon, how much to feed it?

jaredfox

my veiled is a few weeks old, maybe even a month, i'm not sure, she's now eating small crickets (much larger than pinheads, quite smaller than full grown crickets) today she only ate 3 crickets (i had offered 4) i have read of them eating about 15 though, is that pinheads people are talking about? is mine eating enough? she stopped eating with one left so i'd assume so but i just want to be safe. :D

Welcome to the forums. She should be eating 12 to 18 a day. Could the crickets be too big? Please post some pictures of her and your crickets.

I think juveniles should be eating pinhead crickets. I feed my little guy about 15 a day but he wouldnt mind having more :D

I would leave a cup with 15 crickets in it and see what happens. I dont believe they would typically eat all of them inone sitting. If you are hand feeding 15 crickets you'll be spending some time holding your hand still. I had some good luck with leaving them loose in the enclosure but then if he does not eat them the crickets are running amuck until the next day

This is the most recent pic, taken about a few days ago, the crickets are as long, if not a bit longer than the length of her head, but they still fit within the rule (that i've been told; as long as they're not as wide as the gap between the chams eyes) and she seems to handle them well, i guess I'll start feeding earlier and just let half a dozen or more just hop around till the end of the day and see how that goes.

Attachments

• champic.jpg
    champic.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 407
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled, female, and I'd assume a few weeks
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I've handled her about 2 or 3 times within the past 2 weeks
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? mainly crickets, recently tried to introduce mealworms, though i don't know how well that worked out as they did disappear but i'm not sure that she ate them
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I'm not aware of the brand, but it has d3, what i've been confused with is that everyone swears that you shouldn't be giving them that everyday but some others have told me that as long as they aren't getting actual sunlight it should be fine.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a spray bottle, I have a Little Dripper that I have yet to use but will get it set up soon, i mist for about half a minute and at least 3 times a day to make sure humidty stays up, and yes i see her drinking.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? I can't see well right now but from what i can remember she has had dark/sometimes lighter (it's hard to tell though because I had 2, one unfortunately passed away last night, I wasn't able to figure out how, he didn't show visual signs of sickness, he was however lethargic and went a few days refusing to eat/not eating much, i was actually just looking up reptile vets the night before he passed :( ), no ihaven't had her tested yet
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? all glass with screen top, i've heard that's not good but it seems that she's gotten over the whole reflection thing, if it becomes an issue i can get a screen cage, it's dimensions are 18x18x18
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I can't recall the brand, i think ZooMed, the regular light is 75W and i'm pretty sure the uv is 25, and I keep it as close to 12hrs light 12 hrs dark
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? unfortunately i don't have the funds at the moment for a thermometer and hygrometer, but i do keep the temp reasonably high, and as for humidity, i water it very often, at least 3 times a day as previously stated
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no live plants
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? it is in my room, there are fans and vents but i have shut them off, the only traffic is when i pass by the cage on my way out of the room, which isn't too often. the top of the cage is about 5 1/2 feet about the floor
Location - Where are you geographically located? in central florida

I hate to sound harsh but you really need to read my blog and get your husbandry corrected ASAP before you loose another one. I think you are cooking her in that glass with a 75 watt light in FL. You need to correct your lighting, your supplements, get a screen cage and a digital temp gum which is VERY important. When they are too hot they want eat. Chameleons are an expensive pet to keep and when you take one on you need to be really to except full responsibility for their care. Chameleons have to have their enclosure mimic their natural environment to survive.

I hate to sound harsh but you really need to read my blog and get your husbandry corrected ASAP before you loose another one. I think you are cooking her in that glass with a 75 watt light in FL. You need to correct your lighting, your supplements, get a screen cage and a digital temp gum which is VERY important. When they are too hot they want eat. Chameleons are an expensive pet to keep and when you take one on you need to be really to except full responsibility for their care. Chameleons have to have their enclosure mimic their natural environment to survive.

i agree and couldn't care less about sounding harsh.
this is a life we are talking about. i'm so sick of people getting an animal and then asking questions. OP needs to grow up and learn responsibility.
makes me sick how people barely care how they are effecting the animal.
tables would be turned if they were in the animals position. don't ask daddy to buy you an animal you clearly can't take care of if this is your second. absolutely pathetic.

Back
Top Bottom