Just when i thought i had it all under control...

SS4Luck

Established Member
Alrite, so im a little peeved at myself for this. I was cleaning up my dresser that i keep my cham/camera/computer stuff in and reptars cage on top of today and when i was looking at my flukers cricket quencher stuff i have the "calcium fortified" version... not the cool blue one, the mcdonalds yellow one.

Do i have to modify my dusting schedule because of this? That would really suck and i rather wouldnt have to but if i do i do...

sO anyone know?

Id say not right now.....just make sure u dont over do it on the D3......if you do to much calcium, but it doesnt have the D3, then the Chams kidneys will just filter it out. If u want, u can come by sometime and I have a shite load of cricket gut load that I can sell u at a good price......its similar to cricket crack.

I don't know for sure but I doubt it. I have that stuff too along with the grains. Since I leave that stuff in there for them and they eat it even when they aren't being fed off they digest it. It just makes the cricket healthier and a better meal, then we dust to make sure the chams gets other vitamins.
We'll see what the experts on this subject say though, they can break it down and show us all the vitamins and minerals the chams get from the crickets and dusting and all that stuff.

I don't know for sure but I doubt it. I have that stuff too along with the grains. Since I leave that stuff in there for them and they eat it even when they aren't being fed off they digest it. It just makes the cricket healthier and a better meal, then we dust to make sure the chams gets other vitamins.
We'll see what the experts on this subject say though, they can break it down and show us all the vitamins and minerals the chams get from the crickets and dusting and all that stuff.
Yes, the "experts" are circling like vultures as we speak.....lol :rolleyes:

Id say not right now.....just make sure u dont over do it on the D3......if you do to much calcium, but it doesnt have the D3, then the Chams kidneys will just filter it out. If u want, u can come by sometime and I have a shite load of cricket gut load that I can sell u at a good price......its similar to cricket crack.

Ive got a lb of cricket crack still. Im dusting 6 days a week and the on the 7th day its D3 one week and multivite the next and alternating

don't worry about it.. just use it up and add some more water....

ok cool thanks buddy

It really isn't something I would worry about. The cham will expel the unneeded calcium. It will form as white Crystal like stuff on his snout. If you notice this, just cut back on your dustings.

...my flukers cricket quencher stuff i have the "calcium fortified" version...

Do i have to modify my dusting schedule because of this?...
Howdy Jordan,

I'm assuming that you are worried about the Fluker's quencher adding even more calcium to your chameleon's food. Just a week or so ago, there was a post that had a link(?) to a paper written by a Vet about calcium intake by crickets fed a diet that included that product or at least one similar to it. The conclusion was that it had no effect on the cricket's calcium content. It was found, however, that calcium added to a dry gutload did increase the cricket's calcium content by a meaningful amount.

So what is it like to hace it all under control, even for a short time??? i have been tring to get to that point for years.:(

Howdy Jordan,

I'm assuming that you are worried about the Fluker's quencher adding even more calcium to your chameleon's food. Just a week or so ago, there was a post that had a link(?) to a paper written by a Vet about calcium intake by crickets fed a diet that included that product or at least one similar to it. The conclusion was that it had no effect on the cricket's calcium content. It was found, however, that calcium added to a dry gutload did increase the cricket's calcium content by a meaningful amount.
alrite cool, i figured it might not make that big a dif, but i did wanna double check and make sure.

thanks

So what is it like to hace it all under control, even for a short time??? i have been tring to get to that point for years.:(

haha well let me rephrase it too, i was finally getting confident in my setup and not worrying about not having something accounted for lol

I accept with information of Book Collection:
"Reptile Medicine and Surgery" 2nd ed. By Mader
"Chameleons - Their Care and Breeding" By Linda J. Davison
"Chameleons - Nature's Hidden Jewels" 2nd Ed. By Petr Necas
"The Panther Chameleon: Color Variation, Natural History, Conservation and Captive Management" By Gary W. Ferguson...
"Thoughts for Food" 3rd Ed. Edited by Ardi Abate.

Just so you know i just read out of the book PhilnDeb sent me, the larger the cricket, the less the calcium is effective. The larger crickets digest it faster and more effectively then the younger crickets.

Back
Top Bottom