Just set up his new enclosure - can yall check it out please?

Got a 24x24x38, which is such an upgrade for him. I know i need a longer light and a heat bulb for basking, i gotta get an extension cord for it to reach the top. I plan on buying a cricket keeper for feeding, for now i had to diy with some cups and a ledge lol. Im gonna add a shower curtain as well, but should i add more plants on the sides for him to feel safe? Or will the curtain do?

Attachments

• 14412FCB-4F47-42D1-BC4B-1428AEF22172.jpeg
    14412FCB-4F47-42D1-BC4B-1428AEF22172.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 49
  • C281C665-62B6-41C0-99E2-C66321F2D0E0.jpeg
    C281C665-62B6-41C0-99E2-C66321F2D0E0.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 42
  • B2811F5A-DED5-4C0A-A65C-DEF70D6C856E.jpeg
    B2811F5A-DED5-4C0A-A65C-DEF70D6C856E.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 41
I without any hesitation always vote for more plants, especially if you can replace any fake ones. Pothos which it looks like you already have propagate very easily just cut and place in water for a week and it'll begin to root. They are great as they are strong they vine and spread quickly and will tolerate (they love light but can tolerate) lower light. The umbrella tree will likely need additional light it may start to drop leaves.

Not sure about the ledge

I without any hesitation always vote for more plants, especially if you can replace any fake ones. Pothos which it looks like you already have propagate very easily just cut and place in water for a week and it'll begin to root. They are great as they are strong they vine and spread quickly and will tolerate (they love light but can tolerate) lower light. The umbrella tree will likely need additional light it may start to drop leaves.

Not sure about the ledge
Yeah like I mentioned the ledge is temporary just for me to put his cups of food on until i get an actual holder off etsy. I have other pathos i could add but how do i Secure them up high?

Yeah like I mentioned the ledge is temporary just for me to put his cups of food on until i get an actual holder off etsy. I have other pathos i could add but how do i Secure them up high?
My favorite way, is to place some eye hooks in the top corners of the cage, and string 550 from them to a hanging basket. This creates a canopy type area. The long pothos bits get wrapped around the 550 to help hide them for practical and aesthetic reasons.

You can see an example of my first go at this in the beginning of the video...

Another 2 questions if you dont mind me asking. Whered you get those big sticks and whats at the bottom? Sand? Is having a covered bottom better? My guys been walking around a lot and sometimes on the bottom but its bare so idk if i should add anything

Welcome! Your cham is investigating his new digs and may have odd behavior while checking it out. My male commonly goes to the bottom while patroling the cage trying to find a female. The brown worm cup is too light. I make the bottom rough with sand paper then glue it to a heavy disc shaped rock. My boy has taken to liking superworms which crawl right out so i have set the rock bowl inside of a heavy ceramic bowl so worms get out of the small bowl and then cant get out of the ceramic bowl. make sure you have a stick in your cricket feeder cup too. That way they can crawl out and if your cham gets stuck in the cup can get out. if u dint wNt the crickets out the stick should not pass the top of the cup. Even with a cricket run you will have them escaping. I personally like the crickets getting out if the cup so the cham can actually hunt and use his tongue. I cover two sides of the cage with vinyle. The back panel and the side which is near the electrucal cords for the lights. Tape it down good on the frame from the outside and when you sprsy/mist you dont have to worry about electrical fire or ruining walls. It also helps keep the humidity levels up. never spray the tip or u will blow lights. Also keep extra basking bulbs on hand. See if you can find a rubber tree and break off broken or dead branches ir cut off a few fresh. The branches are all different sizes and curve nicely. Also they arent too heavy. Bamboo branches works well too. Light weight and you can zip tie it to create pot holder stands etc.. Make sure you get a bigger uvb. Dont wait on that. You will need a plant light or your real plants will start to die. I have one mafe by sansi but just bought anorher on a stand with four moveable arms for my second cage. amazon. Works ok and does give off as much heat as the sansi. What kind of cham do you have? Remember stress can kill so givw gim time to adjust. Also my veiled loves hunting crickets that end up in the pots of the plants. I throw smaller ones in there for him from time to time. He likes hanging upside down to hunt them. Sorry so wordy but little tips can be very helpful. i dont like substrate in the males cage. My female cage i added 20 inches to bottom filled with 5" rocks then 40/60 sand soil and plants planted she can lay her eggs and dig wheteever as she would not use a lay bin. This is actually working well too. Good luck to you. Also they make screen repair tape which is nice to have for little holes that feeders escape from.

Another 2 questions if you dont mind me asking. Whered you get those big sticks and whats at the bottom? Sand? Is having a covered bottom better? My guys been walking around a lot and sometimes on the bottom but its bare so idk if i should add anything
The bottom in that video is bare, and that's what I would advise. Those are actually cup hooks that have been bent into an eye hook, and they are just screwed into the metal frame of the enclosure. The large sticks I obtained from the woods, I'd then bleach them over a few days, and cycle them out anytime I did a major cage cleaning or overhaul, or if the branches started to deteriorate. You need to be fairly careful and selective when doing this. Lots of random sticks are highly inappropriate, containing bugs, sap, fibers that irritate eyes ect. I really strived for all natural things as much as possible in my enclosures. I hate plastic and fake things, though the bendy fake vines are okay in my book.

Beautiful set up! So the hooks go through the hard plastic? Is there anything on the outside or they hold securely?
Oh, I wanted to say. Actual larger sized eye hooks placed after drilling a pilot hole is likely sturdier. You could also use the type that is like a bolt and nut, for added security.

Oh, I wanted to say. Actual larger sized eye hooks placed after drilling a pilot hole is likely sturdier. You could also use the type that is like a bolt and nut, for added security.
Yes i did that with cross beams on the inside to make cage sturdier. Now i can zip tie anything to them as i put a cross beam on the three panels at different levels with nuts and bolts.. Agree about the vines. Prefer flukerfarms.com vines without leaves they have three thickness good priced too

Back
Top Bottom