Just saying Hi :)

F4llenAng3l

chameleon3_zps30b60101.jpg

vivsetup_zps57db3eab.jpg

Just thought I'd introduce my new Chameleon, her name is Baby and she is about 4 months old.

This is her soaking up the heat and a pic of her home :)

It is my first chameleon but I spent many months researching and setting up before I got her.

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons.

I'm concerned about the light you have in the cage...the chameleon could climbing the wire and burn itself on he hood. Does it give off UVB?

Also sometimes substrate can bean issue too if the chameleon can ingest it.

Do you know about supplementing ad gutloading/feeding the insects?

Hello and welcome! I agree with the above that the wire is an accident waiting to happen. If your chameleon ends up climbing the wire that is attached to the light and ends up on top of that hot dome, she could burn herself badly.

Hi everyone and thank you.

The probe for the thermostat has already been moved, It comes in the back mid level now so nothing to climb on.

That is purely a heat lamp, the UV is at the top just inside the front..

I know all about the gutloading and requirements, as I said I spent many months researching before I did anything :)

Hi everyone and thank you.

The probe for the thermostat has already been moved, It comes in the back mid level now so nothing to climb on.

That is purely a heat lamp, the UV is at the top just inside the front..

I know all about the gutloading and requirements, as I said I spent many months researching before I did anything :)

Welcome to the Chameleon Forums. What a cute little veiled! I know you wouldn't want that little cutie to get burned.....I see it happen on here often. As the others have said move it outside of the enclosure.

Here's a link to my blog for the way that I keep veileds successfully. Hopefully it will help you to keep that little one health and happy. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Hi, unfortunately I can't put it outside the viv without butchering the top..

As you can see from this pic I have made sure that she can not get hold of it. It had a domed mesh on it which I removed so she would have nothing to grab hold of. I wouldn't risk her getting burned at all, she is my baby :)

vivheatlamp_zpsf91c446d.jpg

I have also dealt with the worry people have over the substrate, I didn't want to remove the orchid bark as it helps with humidity and creates the natural forest floor so I have covered it with a fine mesh that allows it to breathe with no risk of the chameleon swallowing anything :)

vivfloor_zpsbdb73b99.jpg

Hi there!!

Just something I've found with the orchid bark, is that it doesn't really "hold" water, but lets the water just sit at the bottom of the enclosure. If your are going to use substrate, I recommend coconut soil. When I first got my chameleon, I used it. and it worked well at holding and releasing water back into the environment. I don't use it anymore mainly just because it is an unnecessary hassle to me. (also crickets would hide in it, but the mesh you have probably deals with that.)

P.S. your chameleon is mighty cute!! Glad you've joined the chameleon family. :D

Thank you :)

I might give that a try when I change the substrate, it seems to be doing ok so far but I've never totally drenched it yet. Humidity seems to be staying between 50 - 70% with a couple of daily mistings :)

Back
Top Bottom