(Just Mated) Gravid Kinyongia tenuis (Usambara Soft-horned Chameleon)

Ryan Jarosek

I have been having a difficult time getting this female mated. I introduced the male every couple of days for a bit but was having no success. The male that I would put in. (I have two of them). Would both react in the same way. Sit on a branch and look at her. She was obviously receptive.

What I ended up doing was placing both males in her cage. They had a small confrontation , puffing up and presenting at each other. A lot of show nothing physical. They got close to each other and one male decided he had enough. Shortly after he started bobbing at the female. The other male moved lower in the cage. The colors on the male were amazing. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo. I did not want to screw this up. I watched him get in position , then snuck out of the room. Two days later she is showing gravid coloration.

This female did not look like she was going to make it when I got her. Two others I received died a few days after they arrived. I currently have two males and this female that are doing great.

One of the males like to dig all the dirt out of his pot. Anyone know what the heck that is??? Anyway :D

Here are some pictures of her GRAVID

tenuisgirl011.jpg

tenuisgirl012.jpg

tenuisgirl005.jpg

Male , in bed for the night

pics009.jpg

Female NOT showing gravid coloration

Female

IMG_8176.jpg

IMG_8177.jpg

IMG_8180.jpg

Oh sorry, didn't know she could read. :D

But really, they are very interesting.

They are a very interesting species. I am really enjoying working with them. I have 1 egg that should hatch anytime. It would appear there is something inside and it has grown quite large.

Ryan,

What a fascinating species! That females rostral horn is awesome, and those blue spots just seem to glow. I am sure pictures dont even do them justice, they never do. They are so tiny. I would imagine those females only lay a few eggs, but what are the clutch sizes for those on average? How much do the males and females weigh? Good luck!

Ryan,

What a fascinating species! That females rostral horn is awesome, and those blue spots just seem to glow. I am sure pictures dont even do them justice, they never do. They are so tiny. I would imagine those females only lay a few eggs, but what are the clutch sizes for those on average? How much do the males and females weigh? Good luck!

Yeah the pictures are nothing compared to seeing her in person. Their average clutch size is 2-4. It is my understanding they retain the eggs for 4 months then lay them. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. Then incubation at 68-72 F for 4 months or so. I have been keeping them as cold as I can in a room with a few others I am working with. I have not weighed them. I will and report back. I have been really hands off trying to not disturb them.

Thanks I have my fingers crossed.

gosh! one of these day, i really need to come visit to see your ever growing collection.

Congrats on finally having them mate. I think she is awsome both gravid & not, just a really nice looking girl.

Sure wish i had made it over to see your bunch while I was down.:(

Great Ryan ! If you need further information: I have here an excellent article in German, if you want and if I find the time, I can translate it for you :)

That is great news, Ryan!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D I will have to try your method with the two males. I do think my females are not receptive yet though. Glad to hear that one egg looks viable!! The ones I had to cut out of a female all died rather quickly. Hopefully everyone else will have some success also. We have a nice small group here that could really get things going. Keep us posted!!

BTW, I would not have tried to snap a pic either:p

Good job Ryan! Congrats. She looks like the muppet Gonzo to me (don't show her this, she's in a vulnerable state) Can't wait to see some baby pictures.
Are you and Lisa coming to the meeting on Tuesday?

That's great Ryan, congratulations. Do you think the irridescent blue spots are there for the chameleons to see one another in low light? Or is she just glowing? :D

Wow, congrats! I'm having the same problem as Jared in that I don 't think my female is receptive, which just ends in my male becoming angry. I need to keep trying I guess... Congrats again

Edit: Should have posted this earlier, but my female has displayed similar gravid colors as well, of and on, for the last few months I've had her. She's never really blown up or appeared gravid though, and has been a consistent eater. Maybe she's retained sperm from a previous mating, we'll see.

Good job Ryan! Congrats. She looks like the muppet Gonzo to me (don't show her this, she's in a vulnerable state) Can't wait to see some baby pictures.
Are you and Lisa coming to the meeting on Tuesday?

I think she does too. Lisa and I will be at the meeting. Can't wait

Wow, congrats! I'm having the same problem as Jared in that I don 't think my female is receptive, which just ends in my male becoming angry. I need to keep trying I guess... Congrats again

Edit: Should have posted this earlier, but my female has displayed similar gravid colors as well, of and on, for the last few months I've had her. She's never really blown up or appeared gravid though, and has been a consistent eater. Maybe she's retained sperm from a previous mating, we'll see.

Thanks , hopefully you will see some eggs then!

Back
Top Bottom