Just found a veiled Cham walking across the street

He is a very handsome boy, i have heard that some chameleons are becoming indigenous to certain areas simply because of escaped pets, and of course when there is a new species that introduces itself to new areas it has no real predators other then man. And because Veiled's can display brighter colors most predators will associate it as being poisonous. I would say making some rounds in the neighborhood to see if anyone in the immediate area has lost him, if it is a escaped pet it would be hard to believe it would venture very far being as it is in a whole new world. If you don't get any hits from immediate neighbors i would say maybe returning him to the wild is the best thing to do.

Nooo, don't return him to the wild. Just because he was found there doesn't mean that he belongs running wild in Florida. It's for this reason that we get legislature popping up all the time that wants to ban exotic pets. We don't want any more wild ones to be the reason we lose our own pets!

Posting found pet posters is a good idea though. He probably did belong to someone.

Returning a non native species is probably not the best thing to do. Good intentions but keeping it would be better off since they already have taken it from the wild. You can always send it to me if not. :D

Ya, i suppose ya got a point there, but you are so busy these days and work so hard, i should take him :D

Nooo, don't return him to the wild. Just because he was found there doesn't mean that he belongs running wild in Florida. It's for this reason that we get legislature popping up all the time that wants to ban exotic pets. We don't want any more wild ones to be the reason we lose our own pets!

Posting found pet posters is a good idea though. He probably did belong to someone.

Ya i wasn't really thinking about that, very good point

He is a gorgeous boy!

I say have your husband build a huge sturdy cage, put a couple bush plants, lots of sticks for highways (verticle & horizontal) in your backyard! Set the cage up where he has a place to warm up and a place to cool off. Mist him down give em a dripper.

This way he is safley housed while you research how you want to house him or if a chameleon is something you want to care for.

He sure is a good looking boy

where exactly do you live? I live in Lake Worth which is between Lauderdale and Jupiter. I have never heard of any population around these parts. Iguanas, yes, in abundance. I see them on the sides of canals. Have seen them with my own eyes all over the place. Chameleons, NO. I want to see the proof of these chameleons in the wild here. I'd say without a doubt that it is someone's pet. Now, who knows how long it has been an escapee! There was a member in Vegas who found his chameleon after 3 months or longer and it had survived! He looks to be quite healthy and beautiful at that! There is much you need to purchase if you plan on keeping him!

I as well live in south Florida; Miami to be exact. Veiled chameleons are known to be found around here. If he is wild, and you DO plan on keeping him, id say you are very lucky to have found such a beautiful one, that at the same time is friendly. You may want to get a fecal exam done to make sure he is healthy and doesn't have any parasites. Living in south Florida like me, I can recommend a good vet to take him for that. :)

when you say "are known to be found around here" have you have seen proof of this like the Iguanas? I am just curious.

It is very likely that you have found a Wild Veiled Chameleon roaming your streets. They are known to live throughout Florida with Oustalets (spelling) Chameleons. I hope the best to you.

Also, I don't suggest wrapping him up in the blanket and letting your daughters resting their head on him. It can stress him out quite a bit.

I guess i should have been a bit more clear. he lays on her chest while she is sitting on the couch ( usually about 7 or 8 pm ) after dinner before bed. She was holding a towel cause his claws are sharp and he crawled under it and poked his head out the top. so she just leaves him wrapped and he then will close his eyes. I hope he is not stressed. He seems to favor her and will go right for her from his tree to her arms. I thought he was just being friendly.

he definitely is someone's pet or was. If he was born into the wild or was for a long period of time, it is highly unlikely that he would be as friendly as you say he is. They just are not a socia,l friendly species in general. Born and raised and captivity, well that is a different story as I and many other people on this forum will attest to that. Many of us have friendly chameleons but most of that comes with working with them to get them somewhat tame. They do not sleep during the day. Just to let you know. If he was used to going to bed around that time, or even when it gets dark outside, then that is ok. My chameleon gets ready for bed around 7:30-8:00is every night. They will usually curl up their tails and pick a branch or vine in their cage and go to sleep.

There have been hundreds of escapes so those can turn up anywhere. In addition to those, there are populations that have been deliberately established (besides the known Ft. Meyers group) by people intent on harvesting them for the pet trade. That’s a sad but true fact. Those populations will obviously become known in due time as people stumble on them and see they aren’t obviously just a lone escapee.

if he doesnt have a cage yet, what are you keeping him in?? he needs branches to climb, take a look at the enclosure section of the forum and you will be able to find lots of information of whats good for him.

I'd also suggest taking him outside to enjoy some sun until you get him a UV light. They need heat and UV to digest their food and gain energy

right now we have him in my old macaw cage. about 5 ft tall 4 ft x4ft square. i have a bunch of branches off all sizes lodge in the cage. I cut some from the bushes around here soaped them up and cleaned them before i put them in the cage. I plan to have my hubby make the cage this weekend and i am going to buy a potted plant (ficus or hibiscus)for the bird cage in the meantime ( will be going out in a little bit for that) I bought the uv bulb the same day we found him ( we have turtles i was already aware of the uv light that was needed)
i am in broward county way west by sawgrass area.

thank you everyone for all your responses. I hope to keep him ( unless his real owner speaks up) Sunday after church i will be taking him to the neighborhood to see if anyone recognizes him. We are a huge aminal lover family so it was only natural we take him in LOL

Last edited:
Wow, what a find! If he was a pet and he escaped his owner will be devastated. He is a stunning veiled in great condition.

Try looking up in the trees at night with a strong flashlight, there is a strong possibility that you are in one of those deliberately populated areas out there.

Most of us use the the Reptisun or Reptisun 5.0 tube UVB bulb. He will need a basking light also. A ordinary housebulb will do. Try a 60 watt if you are keeping the cage indoors in the AC. You can always set the cage outside and let him get natural UVB. It is the best thing for him. Just provide shade and mist him down to cool off. He obviously is taking the temps ok if you found him alive outside. I keep my chameleon outside for a good part of everyday. He is outside right now in my freerange on my patio. I also have a large outdoor cage. where do you guys live exactly?

Most of us use the the Reptisun or Reptisun 5.0 tube UVB bulb. He will need a basking light also. A ordinary housebulb will do. Try a 60 watt if you are keeping the cage indoors in the AC. You can always set the cage outside and let him get natural UVB. It is the best thing for him. Just provide shade and mist him down to cool off. He obviously is taking the temps ok if you found him alive outside. I keep my chameleon outside for a good part of everyday. He is outside right now in my freerange on my patio. I also have a large outdoor cage. where do you guys live exactly?

hi yes i have the reptisun 5.0 uvb tube and a 75 watt basking light. i have read a bunch in the past 5 days LOL learning more each day and love reading this forum.
i am in coral springs

There here......
Nice Find! Any chance of getting a town and street name? You can PM me if you would like.
Carol, chams are all over south FL. We have them around us, but you wont see them until the populations get thick like Knight anoles.

There here......
Nice Find! Any chance of getting a town and street name? You can PM me if you would like.
Carol, chams are all over south FL. We have them around us, but you wont see them until the populations get thick like Knight anoles.

I believe you, it is just that I have lived here for 23 yrs and have never saw one. Escapees yes, but whole populations? Where has it ever been documented like the Iguanas????

Back
Top Bottom