just curious

DebbieJ

My chameleon Gizmo is outside in a shady area with his mouth open. Why is he doing this? Also, I can't seem to entice him to eat...

He is probably just trying to thermoregulate his bodytemp. My chameleon does this sometimes too even though he is in the shade. We live in hot climates and sometimes it is still hot in the shade. On another note, sometimes they will open their mouths if they are having trouble getting air, due to a respiratory infection. Not saying that is what it is though. Can you hear him breathing funny, like a popping noise? Does he have any thick saliva in his mouth that looks real stringy? Are there any bubbles coming out of his mouth? If he does not have any of those symptoms, then he is probably just cooling off! When is the last time he ate?

Sunday was the last time I officially saw him eat.. nothing yesterday and nothing yet today. I have misted him twice today... getting frustrated.

And no there is nothing around his nose or mouth bubbling nor do I hear any sounds...

Sunday was the last time I officially saw him eat.. nothing yesterday and nothing yet today. I have misted him twice today... getting frustrated.

And no there is nothing around his nose or mouth bubbling nor do I hear any sounds...

what where u feeding him/her...befor your chameleon stop eating...like sounds like it's on a hunger strick...that what it sound like too me

Have you offered him a variety of feeders or just one? You have not had him very long right? How old is he?

Have you offered him a variety of feeders or just one? You have not had him very long right? How old is he?

I've had Gizmo for 4 days and I've been offering crickets... I do not know how to tell how old he is.. he's 8 inches long from tip to tip.

You can offer other feeders besides crickets. Did you get the other examples of common feeders? I would not be too worried. You have only had him for 4 days and it takes some settling in for a few weeks with these guys. As far as his mouth being open, he probably was just trying to cool off. I know it is hard not to worry. We all do!

You can offer other feeders besides crickets. Did you get the other examples of common feeders? I would not be too worried. You have only had him for 4 days and it takes some settling in for a few weeks with these guys. As far as his mouth being open, he probably was just trying to cool off. I know it is hard not to worry. We all do!

Thanks for your help!!

I agree w/ Carol here...

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck with your new Cham, should you need anything feel free to ask. I know you have only had him a short time are you good with your set up? If you need any advise this is the place to be!:p Have fun and enjoy your guy!

Back
Top Bottom