Just another male or female!

Bruni456M

Hi, new panther chameleon owner here! I just wanted to post and ask whether you guys think my cham is a male or a female? He/she was sold to the shop by the breeder as a male and so was sold to me as a male but I'm doubting it at the moment because of the colour and tail space....although he is very young so I might be wrong or it might be too easy to tell.
She/He is really super friendly (v fond of my boyfriend so don't worry she wasn't forced to climb him to take photos!) but I'm not entirely sure i have the skillset to look after a female. Could you guys give me some tips on males Vs females and what to do? Do I keep her and get a nesting/egg box?

Also, I'm in the process of changing my plants all to live so please forgive the fake ones in the photos! I'm trying to get a picture of Bruni with his tail out so it's clear. Thank you for the help

Attachments

• PXL_20221017_140010762.jpg
    PXL_20221017_140010762.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG-20221017-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20221017-WA0000.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20221017_142945616.jpg
    PXL_20221017_142945616.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20221017_143011422.jpg
    PXL_20221017_143011422.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
She’s too little to worry about eggs yet, but here’s a video that covers that process so you’ll be ready when it’s time!

Female…
Ah! Thank you! I thought she was female.
Breeder is still saying that it'll mature into a male? doesn't seem quite right to me, can i have a second opinion please?
They're adamant it's a male and they're sure it'll mature in the next couple of months and begin showing more vibrant colours and grow the lump under the tail

Breeder is still saying that it'll mature into a male? doesn't seem quite right to me, can i have a second opinion please?
They're adamant it's a male and they're sure it'll mature in the next couple of months and begin showing more vibrant colours and grow the lump under the tail

You would see the vent shape on males from a very early age, sometimes in a few days after hatching. I am no expert, but I have not seen this “develop” after a few months.

what type of panther chameleon do you have?

Definitely a girl; have they offered to swap (or offer a partial refund) if it is obviously the wrong gender at a certain point? Sorry you're having trouble!

Although I would hope a breeder would voluntarily offer a partial refund as males generally command a higher price, there really isn’t too much regulating it. There is always a risk. When does one say, “OK, it looks like you have a female” and be certain?

Having said all that, I have to bring up the risk breeders take raising clutches. There are no guarantees to having more males (assuming more desirable) than females and they simply can’t keep all the girls. There should be some standard that protects both parties, and it should not always be that the breeder takes the animal back. That assumes that the breeder is honest…

Yea great hunts well and is healthy..... I kno the males are more colourful but do females stay this colour??? This is the first cham I've had

Yea great hunts well and is healthy..... I kno the males are more colourful but do females stay this colour??? This is the first cham I've had
they have a range of brown....to more brown! and maybe a little orangey. But yes generally those colours. They won't have any rainbowness like the males like lots of other animals sadly but they're still super pretty, I'll pop some photos of Bruni's range on 🙃

Yea lovely I'm not bothered about it not being a male... I love her all the same just now it's a Georgia not a George lol
haha amazing!
I would get a second opinion on the sexing just because I don't have 100% confidence in myself, best of luck with her🙂

Back
Top Bottom