Just a thought. Take your enclosure lighting to the next level

Alexander1

Avid Member
I’m currently building a bromeliad vivarium and I ran into some aquarium led fixtures that can provide a 24 hour light cycle including sunrise, sunset, and dark to no light, not to mention a lightning storm mode, for ever I thought these things where way too expensive from seeing a jungle hobbies premium fixture, it can run you 300 bucks, but i found some for 30-40-50 bucks! Are they going to be your only light source in a tall cage? No, but adding this to your lighting with the clever use of timers can give you a more natural beautiful sunrise and sunset for your chams, have the timer kick the other lights on after the shows over and right before sunset, now that would be cool. Just thinkin we can’t let the dart frog guys have all the fun!!! Btw the light fixtures I seen where on amazon, they do not provide uvb so I mean this would have to be used with a uvb bulb and possibly another t5 fixture. Our chams deserve this more natural approach ...
image.jpg
D7711DDA-EC4C-4061-BD77-FC8F11A207A9.jpeg

I have the lights you are talking about. I'm setting my enclosure up using the AI Prime as the backbone. The lightning effects are pretty annoying but the cloud effects are subtle. They re very easy to setup.

I thought they was reef lights but wasn't familiar with brands mentioned. What they like for plant growth do you have to dial them down? Had any problems with chameleons eyes with these lights. Thought they was designed with the water refraction index in mind.
I like that you can control with n app

They are just LEDs. The optics in them are 60 degree to create a good diffusion. The ability to fully control them from quite dim to very bright is the appeal. I have not kept a chameleon since they became available, but am planning to do so. I will give an update once there is enough data, but I don't see how they would be any worse than a metal halide or 4 bulbs of t5 on max. I think the real benefit is eliminating the movie theatre effect. Nothing worse than having pitch black and going into high noon sun instantly.

If I was going to use Primes, I would get the AI Prime Freshwater. It has a MUCH better spectrum for plant growth (though it is currently unavailable, the new version is due out soon). The Standard Prime 16HD (and Hydras) has too many blues and should be left to the reef tanks. You could also use the Radion XR15 Freshwater, but it is almost 2x the cost.

Any prime can be dialed in to a particular color spectrum. True the reds are the best for plant growth, but the other colors are just as necessary. Green is the only one that isn't used.

Any prime can be dialed in to a particular color spectrum. True the reds are the best for plant growth, but the other colors are just as necessary. Green is the only one that isn't used.
You can certainly dial back the blues, but why? They make a Prime for freshwater! The freshwater version can be run at ANY intensity, but the reef version would have to be at much lower powers without having CRAZY blue.

PS - I am also a reef Guy and use 5 x Hydra 26HD over my 200g mixed reef.

I agree if you are buying new. I’m using an extra. I wanted to point that out because with the newer versions coming out people will be looking to sell their old ones. Since the primary market is the reef version there will be a lot more on the market. Great way to save money for people looking to give them a shot.

I agree if you are buying new. I’m using an extra. I wanted to point that out because with the newer versions coming out people will be looking to sell their old ones. Since the primary market is the reef version there will be a lot more on the market. Great way to save money for people looking to give them a shot.
Already owning them changes things. I would certainly use it if I already owned it, but if I was looking to buy a light, I would still get the new one personally. The new ones sell for $209. I am seeing used Primes sell for around $150. Not worth the savings for me. Another thing to be cautious of is to keep the light far enough from the mist. They are quite susceptible to water damage.

Back
Top Bottom