Just a shed? Or is it fungal?

Queen Yarbo

My beau and I own Farore together. Hence, the we, us, and me, or I changes.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Jackson Chameleon, Female, 2 years old, 3 week in my care
  • Handling - A few times, only when moving or cleaning the cage.
  • Feeding - Dubia Roaches, Crickets, Super Worms. Would like to add more, but the local pet store is out. I've had her to eat 1-3 of the feeders usually. She's tempermental about eating. She finally had a massive feeding session a couple days ago, I've put feeders in but havent observed her eating. Yes, with orange cube with calcium, gelatin water, and fresh fruit/veggies (only ones found on a chameleon approved list.)
  • Supplements - Her former owner gave us Zoo Med's Reptivite, I've dusted feeders twice thus far. We bought calcium with d3 (two on accident) Calcium without d3 is in the mail.
  • Watering - We were given a Monsoon r400. It clearly needs to be repaired, so I removed it. A Mistking was ordered and will arrive in the next week. Currently we have a 360 Air Innovations humidifier and mist 6 times a days.
  • Fecal Description - It looked brown and offwhite. I have a hard time finding it though
  • History - She was originally bought gravid and had 3 clutches. Her previous owner officially confirmed via email that she is in fact gravid. We're annoyed with not being given the full information upon purchase. Poor baby machine. I work with dogs and know how detrimental litters can be to a dog mom, most respectable breeders cut it off at 3 litters. I have no idea on female Jacksons, but it can't be good... In any case, she's ours. We love her, will do everything to improve her life, and attempt to keep the babies alive. She shed her feet/hands when we got her. First time chameleon owners, but experienced pet owners,

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Combo, glass and mesh. 12"W x 36"L x 52"High. I added a drainage system a couple days after we got her. Removed the upper glass panels after the first heavy duty cleaning and replaced with mesh. (Mesh on top, Top panels, and sides)
  • Lighting - 18" Tropical UVB, plant light, 60w heat light.
  • Temperature I have two gages for humidity and two for therm. I try to keep it at 70F-80F and humidity between 65-80. It has been a struggle. The past two days I came home from work either her humidity or heat were severely off. At night I try to cool it down between 50F-65F
  • Humidity - See above. Waiting for mistking and removed old auto system, She gets multiple misting in the morning after the cage has warmed up and another after I get home from work.
  • Plants - I have a few, and soon more to switch out. . A hibiscus tree in transplant shock, schefflera, potho, fern, spikes, begonia, and ivy. Soil in covered with large river rocks,There's a 2nd pothos attempting to be grown and I intend on purchasing a lot more that are on the safe list. I love gardening along with Chams :)
  • Placement - She is in an attic with me. It's a shared housing situation so there is no where else she can go. The room is very large and contains my living room and bedroom. She has absolutely no problem sleeping with lights, but WE DO give her a sleep cover every night. I have two rat dogs/Chihuahuas that are 13 years old and are kenneled during the work day. There's me and my boyfriend, but we both work full time. That's the traffic. Currently, with the stands the cage is on, it is taller than me (5'4")
  • Location - Minneapolis, MN. It gets humid in the summer. Cold Cold Cold in the winter.

Current Problem - Pics for reference. Is this shedding or fungal????

View media item 45375
She's had white on her head since we got her. Her right eye might be swollen?

View media item 45373
Her current enclosure
View media item 45376View media item 45377View media item 45249
Also...... building a new one.30 x 30 x 42
View media item 45374

Her eye seems fine to me, if she's rubbing it on branches or keeping it closed then I would be concerned. As for the fungal or shed, the pics that you posted seem to show nothing out of the ordinary at all. I can't see anything that even looks like shedding... Maybe take some more pictures that make it clear what the issue is.

Unfortunately for most female chameleons once they are pregnant they are pregnant for three or more clutches because they store fertilized eggs/sperm for future use. It can take several clutches before they run out. If you commit to breeding it's not a one off situation.
I see a small white patch just in front of her casque above her eye. At the angle of the picture I just can't tell much. Could be a stuck shed. If you can get her to tolerate some direct mistings it might loosen and fall off. My guy retains shed in that spot but because of his horns. That might help her rinse her eyes was well.

Can do! She's been a bit grouchy lately, in the photo she has white on her spikes and top of body. She's never displayed this color before with such consistency. She seemsto be gettingready for bed, so I''ll try and get a sleeping pic later.
File_000-2.jpeg

Unfortunately for most female chameleons once they are pregnant they are pregnant for three or more clutches because they store fertilized eggs/sperm for future use. It can take several clutches before they run out. If you commit to breeding it's not a one off situation.
I see a small white patch just in front of her casque above her eye. At the angle of the picture I just can't tell much. Could be a stuck shed. If you can get her to tolerate some direct mistings it might loosen and fall off. My guy retains shed in that spot but because of his horns. That might help her rinse her eyes was well.

Yeah.... we have been joking about the 80 million grandbabies we'll kill and the 60 million we'll accidently kill. They very hard to keep alive, so I am incredibly nervous. But at least when she's finally due (6-9 months, correct?) the last few clutches will be only a month later. I'm looking forward to normal Farore. I'm not going to make any commitment to breeding in the future unless we are somehow wildly successful and it's emotionally fulfilling. I am obsessed with researching, would you have any suggestions for books or articles?

I wasn't sure if that was normal or not! She's had it since we got her, but also successfully shed her feet at the same time. She has let me mist her directly though, and before we tossed out the Monsoon it would occasionally hit her in the face. I'll try again tomorrow morning though!

Back
Top Bottom