Just a Question or 2..

blood4eva69

Hi. Well I'm new to this so I guess the best way to start is by introducing myself. My name is Elias and I live in California. I'm here because I really love animals and I want the best for the ones I own. I own a ballpython and a baby Vieled Chameleon. I dont know the exact age of it but I'm guessing its about 4 weeks old; maybe 6 weeks. He is a male and his name is Blender (cuz he blends..lol). I got him on thursday and I kept him in a small rep. tank but I knew he needed ventalation so I bout him a 2o''tall 18'' wide' 12'' deep. (I'll see if i can put up a picture)

I put Blender in there with a Golden Pothos and a couple of stick big enough for his little feet to get a good hold. and then I but a Red infrared Spot lamp (40w) close the the lamp but not to close. i didnt put it on the top I put it on the side so i can heat up one side of the lamp.

my question is: how does this sound?
and What else do i need?

i feed him little crickets and mist and i use a home made dripping system.

thanks for the help in advance...

Hi Elias and welcome to the board. You've definitely come to the right place for answers to your questions. For starters Blender does not need the red infrared light. He needs a heat lamp that he can get within 8 - 12 inches of and he needs a uvb bulb. These are typically a tube lamp and about the best ones for chams is the Reptisun 5.0. You wil want these on a timer for approximately a 12 and 12 schedule. You need to check your temps and humidity. Higher humidity can been achieved by heavy misting 2 - 3 times a day with hot water for about 15 - 20 minutes at a shot.

As for the cage .... that sounds like a reasonable size for a little one but you will definitely want to go bigger as he grows. Typically an adult veiled needs atleast a 2'x2'x4' cage. You will also want to make sure that the cage is positioned above eye level and make sure there is no standing water in the bottom.

You should be able to feed him small crickets, small silk worms, and fruit flies, but make sure you gutload and dust your feeders.

I'm short on time, but wanted to welcome you and give you a few tips. I'm sure others will chime in with additional information, but this is at least a start.

Jeanie
aka Scrappy

I would suggest reading through all the old threads you can.
Especially the enclosures section.
There is a ton of info already there for you.

-Brad

Im in southern California... close to Rosemead... thanks for the help i really apreciate it and so does Blender

Back
Top Bottom