Just a couple questions :)

luvbug237

Not sure if they are rediculous questions but I have been wondering :)

The first is... and this may be for the more senior experienced members but, I got a microscope for Christmas so I could start experimenting with stool samples. My question is... let's say I find something in the stool sample and I need to take my boys in for parasites or something. Will the vet have to take their own stool sample or could they use mine?

Pretty silly I know :eek:

My second question has to do with sperm plugs. I have noticed my panther, pushes out sperm plugs often(he is 11 months old) but in the almost two years I've had my Jackson, I haven't seen a single one (he is about 2 years old).

I know I wasn't the most expierenced when I first for my Jackson so maybe he did do it and I didn't know or it just got cleaned up. I doubt this is something panthers just do... do they stop doing it at a certain age? Should I be worried that my Jackson doesn't have sperm plugs? Could this mean he is fixed? Is that possible?? lol sorry so many thoughts!

Thanks for your time and thoughts!

To answer your first question, that is all dependent on your vet. My microscope connects to my computer and I'm able to take pictures of what I see so my vet is willing to accept what I find and treat accordingly. Your may have a different approach. Either way it will give you more insight to your chameleons health and help with making decisions to go to vet for an official test or not.

As for your second question, all my male panther as well as other chameleons all have plugs once in awhile. I don't have any experience with Jackson's so I can't help with why he may or may not have had sperm plugs.

I know I wasn't the most expierenced when I first for my Jackson so maybe he did do it and I didn't know or it just got cleaned up. I doubt this is something panthers just do... do they stop doing it at a certain age? Should I be worried that my Jackson doesn't have sperm plugs? Could this mean he is fixed? Is that possible?? lol sorry so many thoughts!

Thanks for your time and thoughts!

No such thing as a neutered cham that I've ever heard. I don't think I've ever seen a jax sperm plug. Possibly they don't produce as many or they are smaller, more liquid, or expelled during defecation. Maybe they don't produce a more obvious "plug" for you to find.

Thank you for both your insight!
Is there anyone out there familiar with Jacksons that can comment on sperm plugs? Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

It's funny you posted this question, I asked my vet if I could do a gram stain on a swab from my chams mouth to look for the presence of bacteria and which I should be looking for. Also in blood samples, but id never take blood from my Cham. But I asked if it is like with humans looking for the presence of esonophils(which stain blue), ect. I tutor the biologies for my local
College for students that have ADHD, or other issues that require peer tutoring, ect. But I also asked about stool samples. What do I need to look for. She seemed amused at me even asking. :/ I felt super lame and just agreed to bring some crap in to her to test herself.

I'd love to know what to check for.

My lab book from micro I Swabbed the water fountain outside girls bathroom and grew enterobacteria (poop) and staph aureus!!yeh.... Lol

Back
Top Bottom