June Bugs?

CharlieCharmingo

Avid Member
So Tony was in his cage being majestic as usual and he stood on his hind legs to catch a cricket. I was like "cool this deserves a treat, let's go outside." We go out side and he's enjoying it but then this June bug that frequents our house made the mistake of finally landing too near Tony. He stood up and ate it without fail. My question is can he eat June bugs? Should I be more worried and less impressed?

We used to not have a yard and now we do and so he's always looking at the Rollie pollies, flies, June bugs, and wasp that land on the flowers and I'm just trying to make sure everything is kosher for the boy.

June bugs are not a great staple feeder just because they have a really hard exoskeleton.

In my area, June bugs come out in April....go figure. But I feed them to my larger species of chameleons. They love them. I will feed some to my other chameleons that are of appropriate size, but I have noticed that sometimes they don't digest them well.

So, I would limit the amount that he eats. But as an occasional treat...no biggie!

There are over 100,000 insect species in Madagascar. The biggest variety is beetles. June bugs are on the safe list and him eating a June bug is okay...in fact the grubs make great occasional treats as well (high fat). Of course, there are beetles that are toxic like the Blister Beetle so you can't just go find any beetle to feed him.... this guide has some good info http://reptiles.guru/chameleon/can-chameleon-eat-wild-bugs/ particularly about joining a Facebook Group to get ID on wild insects.

There are over 100,000 insect species in Madagascar. The biggest variety is beetles. June bugs are on the safe list and him eating a June bug is okay...in fact the grubs make great occasional treats as well (high fat). Of course, there are beetles that are toxic like the Blister Beetle so you can't just go find any beetle to feed him.... this guide has some good info http://reptiles.guru/chameleon/can-chameleon-eat-wild-bugs/ particularly about joining a Facebook Group to get ID on wild insects.

Thank you, this is really helpful.

June bugs are not a great staple feeder just because they have a really hard exoskeleton.

In my area, June bugs come out in April....go figure. But I feed them to my larger species of chameleons. They love them. I will feed some to my other chameleons that are of appropriate size, but I have noticed that sometimes they don't digest them well.

So, I would limit the amount that he eats. But as an occasional treat...no biggie!

Lol. Oh good. Thank you for sharing and I'm sorry your June bugs come out in April like posers lol.

So Tony was in his cage being majestic as usual and he stood on his hind legs to catch a cricket. I was like "cool this deserves a treat, let's go outside." We go out side and he's enjoying it but then this June bug that frequents our house made the mistake of finally landing too near Tony. He stood up and ate it without fail. My question is can he eat June bugs? Should I be more worried and less impressed?
I’m Intrigued with this Because I want to feed my veiled chameleons the June bug also?

Isn't this awfully late in the season for June Bugs? Around here, they're out in June like they're supposed to be. Just wondering if what you're seeing might be a different species that looks similar. ?‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom