Johnstoni

Lizardlover

Hi all, I hoped to do an update on my Johnstoni today but unfortunately my camera died as I was taking pictures. Here's a few of one of the babies. They both have gone through their first shed and are doing great.

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

Cute baby. The tail appears to be short in the third picture. Is that the normal length?

Thanks, Its actually pointing towards the camera so it appears short, they have pretty long tails because they are used to being up in the canopy.

EDIT: Thanks Laurie, so do I!

I'm curious, your website says to keep these guys cool with a nightime drop. How are you managing that here in South Florida???

My AC/Heat keeps the house at 75 all day and night except for mid summer when it gets hotter and the AC struggles and I've been wondering a practical way to try my hand at montanes.....

Honestly my drop is not that low at all, but these are CH and much hardier. For adults however, you do really need that 10 degree drop. For these guys theres probably a 5 or 10 degree drop because the fan is running at night and the AC gets turned down. They also get a cool misting a few hours before lights out. Its normally around 69* at night. Keep in mind, not all montanes need that dramatic of a drop.

EDIT: Daytime temps are anywhere from 75-77 degrees.

Yeah, there is no way I can get this house to 69 except in the winter, and the heat gets turned on when that cold!:)

BTW, what montanes do not need it cooler?

Yeah, there is no way I can get this house to 69 except in the winter, and the heat gets turned on when that cold!:)

BTW, what montanes do not need it cooler?

From what I have learnt in South Africa Gauteng (it is usualy quite warm here) the jacksons seem to still do quite well despite how hot the weather can become. Though I still do not push it, I spray cages down often to cool off the chameleons when they are outdoors, they also do not go in direct sunlight-filtered sunlight through tree shade works best.

And very nice Johnstons you have there, hopefuly one day I can get my hands on these guys :)

Last edited:
Was your female gravid upon importation? If she was, thats awesome you managed to get a ch clutch from her. So many have issues with importation while being gravid. Sweet species, maybe I will have some one day when I can have a whole montane room.

Really cute baby! congrats for him and his parents! ;)
But the excuse of the camera isn't good enough so we want pics of the other babies and adults!! :D

Thank you all! Jared, I think i have two females, according to some people i shoudve started to see some horn nubs, im still hopeful though. Texaspanther, I dont have any adults, I got these babies from Nick Mole. Jack, Im working on uploading some more pics right now! :p

This is the larger of the two, I really love the coloration these guys have even at 1 1/2 months!

IMG_1913.jpg

The more shy of the two.

IMG_1898.jpg

My setup.

IMG_1920.jpg

Thank you all! Jared, I think i have two females, according to some people i shoudve started to see some horn nubs, im still hopeful though. Texaspanther, I dont have any adults, I got these babies from Nick Mole. Jack, Im working on uploading some more pics right now! :p

They both look great, Danny!!! You are making me jealous:D Nothing wrong with two females. Better than two males IMO since they come in somewhat frequently. You can always get a male or two eventually. The setup looks great and nice to see you are already housing them individually. Thanks for the extra pics!

Thanks Jack! These babies are extremely hardy, a pleasure to work with!

Jared, I'd definetly rather two females than males. I did have them together but they began to show signs of aggression so I seperated them a couple weeks ago, they seem to be thriving so Im hoping for the best. Trace sent me an e-mail about the whole horn thing, and this MAY be some sort of horn formation, may just be wishful thinking. This is on the larger baby.

IMG_1913-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom