Jim's First Shed!

Hello! I am a new keeper, of a young Veiled. His name is Jim Henson.

Im just sharing an update because I am so stoked about his first time shedding!

I noticed he was especially restless and pouty (darker colours and spots), yesterday. I was a bit concerned and keeping note of his appearance throughout the day. Then, this morning, I saw shed coming off his elbows and armpits. I'm glad I had my humidifier going already, because he's been shedding so well, all day. Wiggling about, and pushing against the rough textured vines and plants. It looks like he's almost done. Here are some photos I took about an hour ago.

Is it common for a cham to act grouchy or restless right before shedding? My geckos are usually ripping around, rubbing against things, being goobers, as they first start shedding.

Also, for those wondering, heres an update since I last introduced myself: I got his basking area to sit at a stable 79'F-81'F. He also eats 8-10 (2week) crickets, plus 15-20 Hidei flies every morning. I'm quite happy with how he has settled in. I will soon have some questions about handling him, since he's now been here for 12 days after being shipped.

Attachments

• 140426375_706586830023346_309359158688434611_n.jpg
    140426375_706586830023346_309359158688434611_n.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 106
woah woah woah.... hold up - chameleons are dry shedders?? Oh heck, I didnt know. I assume I should lower the humidity while he sheds? Please let me know!

Hello! Please fill this form out so we can review your husbandry. It is very normal for them to be cranky, and not eat while shedding. The best you can do is let them be. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Veileds need live plants only in their cage, so replace all of your fake ones with real ones ASAP! Also, don’t use a cage humidifier during the day if you are. Chameleons usually get grumpy before shedding, so that is normal! I wouldn’t handle him unless he wants to (and not because he wants to get out of his cage).

@ERKleRose of the 3 plants in the enclosure, only 1 is fake. The other two plants are a pothos and a zizi plant. What is wrong with the one fake guy? Also, There is no cage humidifier, just one I keep in my office because its so dry in the interior of british columbia. My plants shrivel up without my humidifer being run about 2x a week!

@Fchamel he ate just fine the last two days. The regular amount as I listed. I dont have a current problem, but here is that information profile filled out. I based all my husbandry off of this forum's caresheet for veiled, but altered the basking temp to a lower temp of 80'F for my juvenile cham.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled, 3 mo, in my care for 2 weeks
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? currently, not at all
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? daily at 9am, 10-12 (2week) crickets, 20-30 hidei fruit flies, 1-2 tiny wax worms every sat and tuesday. gutload crickets with spinach, carrot, and bug burger
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? a few times a week I dust the crickets in calcium + d3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? 3 (20 second long) mists, each day ( 2 times if it doesnt dry fast enough). I have a larger dripper sitting on the tank to provide a constant drip onto the leaves of Jim's pothos.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? poop each day, soft, dark brown with 1/4 white in dropping. no, he has not been tested. I trust he is parasite free from this seemingly reputable breeder.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. No, he was sent to me as a young, healthy cham, from chameleons galore (British Columbia, Canada)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? repti breeze, 18x18x36
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 100 halogen heat bulb for basking, reptisun 10% UVB T5 bulb, 15W
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? as recommended by the care sheet provided, basking spot 80'f, ambient temp 70'f - 78'f
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? consistently 60%, a hygrometer.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? 2 live plants (zizi and pothos), and one fake plastic plant from zoo med.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? in my office, near my desk. The table it sits on is 3 ft tall.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Interior of British Columbia, canada

My responses and any questions will be in red. I’ll post helpful and informative links and images below.

@ERKleRose of the 3 plants in the enclosure, only 1 is fake. The other two plants are a pothos and a zizi plant. What is wrong with the one fake guy? Also, There is no cage humidifier, just one I keep in my office because its so dry in the interior of british columbia. My plants shrivel up without my humidifer being run about 2x a week! Veileds will try to take a bite out of anything, so fake plants are an impaction risk. Room humidifiers are fine, just not cage humidifiers for during the day. I just wanted to make sure.

@Fchamel he ate just fine the last two days. The regular amount as I listed. I dont have a current problem, but here is that thing filled out. I based all my husbandry off of this forum's caresheet for veiled, but altered the basking temp to a but lower for my juvenile cham. This forum’s caresheet is a little out-dated, but The Chameleon Academy has the most up-to-date and accurate info. I’ll link their veiled care sheet below.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled, 3 mo, in my care for 2 weeks Does he have tarsal spurs?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? daily at 9am, 10-12 (2week) crickets, 20-30 hidei fruit flies, 1-2 tiny wax worms every sat and tuesday. gutload crickets with spinach, carrot, and bug burger Right now that’s fine for feeding amount, but you should start to ween him down to the equivalent of 5 crickets every other day in a bit. Stop the spinach as a gutload immediately, it binds calcium! I’ll attach feeder and gutload charts below. Variety is best for both!
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? a few times a week I dust the crickets in calcium + d3 You need a quality phosphorus-free calcium without D3 on every feeding, a quality phosphorus-free calcium with D3 once every two weeks, and a quality multivitamin without D3 every two weeks. Zoo Med is a good quality brand. If you take him outside when it’s warmer out, make sure to adjust how much D3 is being given if he’s out there long enough.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? 3 (20 second long) mists, each day ( 2 times if it doesnt dry fast enough). I have a larger dripper sitting on the tank to provide a constant drip onto the leaves of Jim's pothos. Each misting session should be a minimum of 2-5+ minutes each time. Try to only mist in the morning and late afternoon/night when the cage is cooler, if your humidity allows it.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? poop each day, soft, dark brown with 1/4 white in dropping. no, he has not been tested. I trust he is parasite free from this seemingly reputable breeder. I would get a fecal float done anyway, as it’s recommended for all chameleons. Try to get bloodwork and x-rays when you go to an experienced chameleon vet, too, and make sure to drop off 2-3+ more fresh fecal samples to make sure no parasites were missed.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. No, he was sent to me as a young, healthy cham, from chameleons galore (British Columbia, Canada)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? repti breeze, 18x18x36 He’ll need a minimum cage size of 2’ x 2’ x 4’ tall when he gets bigger, but preferably 4’ x 2’ x 4’ tall or larger. Bigger is always better! I’d also replace the Exo Terra vines (if that is what you have), as they can cause health issues.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 100 halogen heat bulb for basking, reptisun 10% UVB T5 bulb, 15W How far away is the UVB from his basking branch?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? as recommended by the care sheet provided, basking spot 80'f, ambient temp 70'f - 78'f What are the nighttime temps? How do you measure them?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? consistently 60%, a hygrometer. That is too high! Veileds need 30-50% during the day and up to 100% at night. Too high of a humidity level during the day can cause a respiratory infection. Is your hygrometer digital or analog?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? 2 live plants (zizi and pothos), and one fake plastic plant from zoo med. Live plants only. Make sure all are chameleon-safe (I’ll post links for lists below) and properly cleaned and prepared beforehand, including putting rocks too big for him to eat over the soil in the pots.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? in my office, near my desk. The table it sits on is 3 ft tall.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Interior of British Columbia, canada
Could you post photos of him and his full cage, please? Here are the links and images:
https://www.chameleons.info/en/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/
https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 64
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 71
My responses and any questions will be in red. I’ll post helpful and informative links and images below.

@ERKleRose of the 3 plants in the enclosure, only 1 is fake. The other two plants are a pothos and a zizi plant. What is wrong with the one fake guy? Also, There is no cage humidifier, just one I keep in my office because its so dry in the interior of british columbia. My plants shrivel up without my humidifer being run about 2x a week! Veileds will try to take a bite out of anything, so fake plants are an impaction risk. Room humidifiers are fine, just not cage humidifiers for during the day. I just wanted to make sure.

@Fchamel he ate just fine the last two days. The regular amount as I listed. I dont have a current problem, but here is that thing filled out. I based all my husbandry off of this forum's caresheet for veiled, but altered the basking temp to a but lower for my juvenile cham. This forum’s caresheet is a little out-dated, but The Chameleon Academy has the most up-to-date and accurate info. I’ll link their veiled care sheet below.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled, 3 mo, in my care for 2 weeks Does he have tarsal spurs?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? daily at 9am, 10-12 (2week) crickets, 20-30 hidei fruit flies, 1-2 tiny wax worms every sat and tuesday. gutload crickets with spinach, carrot, and bug burger Right now that’s fine for feeding amount, but you should start to ween him down to the equivalent of 5 crickets every other day in a bit. Stop the spinach as a gutload immediately, it binds calcium! I’ll attach feeder and gutload charts below. Variety is best for both!
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? a few times a week I dust the crickets in calcium + d3 You need a quality phosphorus-free calcium without D3 on every feeding, a quality phosphorus-free calcium with D3 once every two weeks, and a quality multivitamin without D3 every two weeks. Zoo Med is a good quality brand. If you take him outside when it’s warmer out, make sure to adjust how much D3 is being given if he’s out there long enough.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? 3 (20 second long) mists, each day ( 2 times if it doesnt dry fast enough). I have a larger dripper sitting on the tank to provide a constant drip onto the leaves of Jim's pothos. Each misting session should be a minimum of 2-5+ minutes each time. Try to only mist in the morning and late afternoon/night when the cage is cooler, if your humidity allows it.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? poop each day, soft, dark brown with 1/4 white in dropping. no, he has not been tested. I trust he is parasite free from this seemingly reputable breeder. I would get a fecal float done anyway, as it’s recommended for all chameleons. Try to get bloodwork and x-rays when you go to an experienced chameleon vet, too, and make sure to drop off 2-3+ more fresh fecal samples to make sure no parasites were missed.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? repti breeze, 18x18x36 He’ll need a minimum cage size of 2’ x 2’ x 4’ tall when he gets bigger, but preferably 4’ x 2’ x 4’ tall or larger. Bigger is always better! I’d also replace the Exo Terra vines (if that is what you have), as they can cause health issues.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 100 halogen heat bulb for basking, reptisun 10% UVB T5 bulb, 15W How far away is the UVB from his basking branch?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? as recommended by the care sheet provided, basking spot 80'f, ambient temp 70'f - 78'f What are the nighttime temps? How do you measure them?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? consistently 60%, a hygrometer. That is too high! Veileds need 30-50% during the day and up to 100% at night. Too high of a humidity level during the day can cause a respiratory infection. Is your hygrometer digital or analog?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? 2 live plants (zizi and pothos), and one fake plastic plant from zoo med. Live plants only. Make sure all are chameleon-safe (I’ll post links for lists below) and properly cleaned and prepared beforehand, including putting rocks too big for him to eat over the soil in the pots.
Could you post photos of him and his full cage, please? Here are the links and images:
https://www.chameleons.info/en/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/
https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
Thank you all of this information! I forgot to reply. I am rather upset because the breeders' care sheet appears to have given me plenty of false info, as it contradicts what you have shared, here. Fake plants are swapped out. Gut loading with recommended veg from here on out. Adjusted misting schedule to what you listed. This will solve the humidity as I will not do frequent mists throughout the day. ALSO I do have a king misting system, it is just not set up yet. I will have the capacity to set it up in a week or two. I actually just had surgery in mid jan and I am not allowed to lift more than 10 lbs.

UVB is about 6 inches above the cage. Basking bulb is about 16 inches above the cage. Basking branch has attached probe which consistently reads 80 degrees F, when bulb is on. Automatic timer gives 10 hrs of basking and UVB.

Yes, I understand bigger is better, as I look forward to building a very large enclosure this summer. My cresties are in a 6ft tall curio cabinet that was converted to be a viv. Thank you SO much for typing this all out. I am excited to be a more competent keeper. I will try my best to post photos of his enclosure tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thank you all of this information! I forgot to reply. I am rather upset because the breeders' care sheet appears to have given me plenty of false info, as it contradicts what you have shared, here. Fake plants are swapped out. Gut loading with recommended veg from here on out. Adjusted misting schedule to what you listed. This will solve the humidity as I will not do frequent mists throughout the day. ALSO I do have a king misting system, it is just not set up yet. I will have the capacity to set it up in a week or two. I actually just had surgery in mid jan and I am not allowed to lift more than 10 lbs.

UVB is about 6 inches above the cage. Basking bulb is about 16 inches above the cage. Basking branch has attached probe which consistently reads 80 degrees F, when bulb is on. Automatic timer gives 10 hrs of basking and UVB.

Yes, I understand bigger is better, as I look forward to building a very large enclosure this summer. My cresties are in a 6ft tall curio cabinet that was converted to be a viv. Thank you SO much for typing this all out. I am excited to be a more competent keeper. I will try my best to post photos of his enclosure tomorrow.
Amazing! Though the UVB needs to be 11-12” away from the basking branch since it is a T5 HO 10.0 bulb. Definitely get a Solarmeter 6.5, too, if you can afford it! It’ll give you precise UVI readings and tell you when to actually replace your UVB bulb (when the readings are cut in half), otherwise you need to be replacing your T5 HO Zoo Med linear UVB bulbs every 6 months or replacing Arcadia linear UVB bulbs yearly (if you switch from Zoo Med)! If you could do a full 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off for your lights, it’ll be even better. I hope you have a fast and safe recovery, as well!

Amazing! Though the UVB needs to be 11-12” away from the basking branch since it is a T5 HO 10.0 bulb. Definitely get a Solarmeter 6.5, too, if you can afford it! It’ll give you precise UVI readings and tell you when to actually replace your UVB bulb (when the readings are cut in half), otherwise you need to be replacing your T5 HO Zoo Med linear UVB bulbs every 6 months or replacing Arcadia linear UVB bulbs yearly (if you switch from Zoo Med)! If you could do a full 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off for your lights, it’ll be even better. I hope you have a fast and safe recovery, as well!
20210306_142412.jpg

Heres the set up! I just remembered to send photos, today.

Your set-up looks great and truly only really needs is a bit more branches that cross each other at the different levels of his cage so he can travel throughout the cage and thermoregulate the way he wants. Like, the bottom left could use a little more foliage cover and branches. I like to create those areas where their is a clearing and empty spot in the foliage in my chameleons cage where their basking branch is, and you'll definitely want to get ahold of a solarmeter to measure the UVI readings at the highest point in his cage and throughout the rest of the cage to make sure bulbs are emitting sufficient amount of UV and that the branches are placed at a good height underneath the lamp. I believe you want to aim for a UVI reading of 7 at their basking branch if you do ever get one. https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-uvb-for-chameleons/

Your set-up looks great and truly only really needs is a bit more branches that cross each other at the different levels of his cage so he can travel throughout the cage and thermoregulate the way he wants. Like, the bottom left could use a little more foliage cover and branches. I like to create those areas where their is a clearing and empty spot in the foliage in my chameleons cage where their basking branch is, and you'll definitely want to get ahold of a solarmeter to measure the UVI readings at the highest point in his cage and throughout the rest of the cage to make sure bulbs are emitting sufficient amount of UV and that the branches are placed at a good height underneath the lamp. I believe you want to aim for a UVI reading of 7 at their basking branch if you do ever get one. https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-uvb-for-chameleons/
I'm sorry. UVI level of 3 at basking branch!!!

Back
Top Bottom