Jimmy’s Dope Domain

Sammy Grigio

Avid Member
After a lot of work and concerted effort I have finally finished Jimmy’s new crib! Jimmy will be here, Alaska, on Tuesday. Only two more days.....I am sooooo freaking excited!!! I built the enclosure myself and meticulously adorned It with all of the “furniture” you see. Let me know what you think .

Attachments

• 561AF761-B1EA-4B22-8AB7-34FFDE326908.jpeg
    561AF761-B1EA-4B22-8AB7-34FFDE326908.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 129
  • E7D8908C-4991-4B5E-B833-C4BC989A59C7.jpeg
    E7D8908C-4991-4B5E-B833-C4BC989A59C7.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 14AC30EA-D46B-4E46-AD4E-D38F67042B41.jpeg
    14AC30EA-D46B-4E46-AD4E-D38F67042B41.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 145
Thank you! I've been out of the game for about 15 years so this endeavor was a labor of love. I used to have Veileds and decided this time around to get a panther. Picture for detail . Can you tell I'm super excited??

Attachments

• PicsArt_12-09-12.01.09.jpg
    PicsArt_12-09-12.01.09.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 109
It looks great! If you want to get rid of the milk carton, check out FullthrotleFeeders. They blend right in to everything else and can easily be taken on and off with a small magnet. The rest of your cage looks so nice I figured i would toss the idea out there to cap it all off!

My cham used it right away.

Attachments

• 20191204_095142.jpg
    20191204_095142.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 102
It looks great! If you want to get rid of the milk carton, check out FullthrotleFeeders. They blend right in to everything else and can easily be taken on and off with a small magnet. The rest of your cage looks so nice I figured i would toss the idea out there to cap it all off!

My cham used it right away.
I see that your cage is also using the same screen material that I used....1/4" galvanized hardware clothe?? Thank you for mentioning that! I'm buying one of those as we speak. Perfect idea and I think it will greatly improve the overall aesthetic.

Hi there. Welcome to the forum. Looking wonderful. And your new boy is very handsome.
If I may add a few things... I would remove the humidifier from inside the cage. Have it run on the outside and then the tube coming into the top back for night time use. When you fog it will all settle into the bottom of the cage. Having it in the cage poses a risk. Also the tube will not be something he can grab so he may slip off of it and fall. The fact that you have duct tape on it poses a risk in the cage as well. That will loosen up as it is exposed to moisture. And tape with Chams is never a good thing.

The red container in the bottom, what is that for?

The feeder run you have. Make sure the plastic is not sharp.

The basking lamp... How close can he actually get to it? From the pic it looks like he can get right on it. I would advice buying something like this to mount to your cage. You can drill holes in the mounting plate to secure it to your wood frame. But as babies they like to screen climb on the top so thermal burns are a risk. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007D1BUJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s05?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The fake vines. Just keep an eye on these. Jungle vines can peel. I really do not like them due to this and the fact that the coating can come off into their eyes if they rub on them.

Hi there. Welcome to the forum. Looking wonderful. And your new boy is very handsome.
If I may add a few things... I would remove the humidifier from inside the cage. Have it run on the outside and then the tube coming into the top back for night time use. When you fog it will all settle into the bottom of the cage. Having it in the cage poses a risk. Also the tube will not be something he can grab so he may slip off of it and fall. The fact that you have duct tape on it poses a risk in the cage as well. That will loosen up as it is exposed to moisture. And tape with Chams is never a good thing.

The red container in the bottom, what is that for?

The feeder run you have. Make sure the plastic is not sharp.

The basking lamp... How close can he actually get to it? From the pic it looks like he can get right on it. I would advice buying something like this to mount to your cage. You can drill holes in the mounting plate to secure it to your wood frame. But as babies they like to screen climb on the top so thermal burns are a risk. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007D1BUJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s05?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The fake vines. Just keep an eye on these. Jungle vines can peel. I really do not like them due to this and the fact that the coating can come off into their eyes if they rub on them.

Great advice, thank you very much. I wasn't too fond of the humidifier being inside the cage either. Per your advice I'm going to run a platform across the top of the cage so that I can set it on there and then adjust the hose so that it will blow from the top down. The whole idea of having it was because I live in Alaska and in the winter when it's bone cold outside and the heater is on inside the house the humidity stays pegged at 15-20%. It's extremely dry up here as you can imagine.

I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for any potential peeling from the jungle vines. The red container is drainage for the dripper. The basking light sits 11-12" from the nearest branch/perch. I've been diligently measuring the temps directly under the light and they stay between 83-88. I can always adjust that if you it's not optimal. I use a 65 watt BR30. I'll run across the edges of the feeder container to make sure it's smooth.

Thank you again for the great input. Very much appreciated.

Great advice, thank you very much. I wasn't too fond of the humidifier being inside the cage either. Per your advice I'm going to run a platform across the top of the cage so that I can set it on there and then adjust the hose so that it will blow from the top down. The whole idea of having it was because I live in Alaska and in the winter when it's bone cold outside and the heater is on inside the house the humidity stays pegged at 15-20%. It's extremely dry up here as you can imagine.

I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for any potential peeling from the jungle vines. The red container is drainage for the dripper. The basking light sits 11-12" from the nearest branch/perch. I've been diligently measuring the temps directly under the light and they stay between 83-88. I can always adjust that if you it's not optimal. I use a 65 watt BR30. I'll run across the edges of the feeder container to make sure it's smooth.

Thank you again for the great input. Very much appreciated.
Your most welcome. :)

Run the fogger at night... Now for daytime. Get a room humidifier and run it in the room but not directly into the cage. You will want to up your ambient humidity level to about 40-50% daytime level for a panther. You don't want it in the cage running because 1. it will stay very moist. 2. heat mixed with direct humidity can cause a respiratory infection. Oh and make sure there is not a sagging in the hose or it will back up with water... I learned this the hard way. So a direct loop up out of the humidifier and down to the cage top. :)

Ok red container. Do you have any screen you can create a lid with for it? You just do not want it open. If the little man falls in then you have the worry of him getting stuck or even drowning. If you have window screen you can put this over the top of it then use a rubber band to wrap around it to secure it in place. :)

Basking temps are good. Just don't want them much higher for his age. How are you measuring? I could not tell positioning from the pics so this is a good distance.

Has anyone given you the links to the chameleon breeder podcast? This is a great way to learn. https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

What are you running for UVB? fixture and bulb type?

For UVB I have a Reptisun 5 right now but I have an Arcadia 6% on the way. The fixture is a 36" ZooMed with a 34" bulb. Reference the pictures above to see. I can definitely cover the red container with screen. Easy fix. The basking light is a standard 65 watt BR30. I will get a better picture of the positioning between the light and basking branch when I get home.

I am measuring temps with a gun, digital and analog thermometers. Yes Jonathan over at iPardalis shared that link with me. Super helpful. Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

For UVB I have a Reptisun 5 right now but I have an Arcadia 6% on the way. The fixture is a 36" ZooMed with a 34" bulb. Reference the pictures above to see. I can definitely cover the red container with screen. Easy fix. The basking light is a standard 65 watt BR30. I will get a better picture of the positioning between the light and basking branch when I get home.

I am measuring temps with a gun, digital and analog thermometers. Yes Jonathan over at iPardalis shared that link with me. Super helpful. Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate it.
Ok that sounds perfect... And you have about a 9 inch drop from UVB to basking branch? It sounds like you got wonderful info from Jonathan. So wonderful to hear. Well at this point just let us know if anything pops up that you have a question about :)

Back
Top Bottom