Jango Eye Problem

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
Jango has been having a very inconsistent eye problem for a few weeks now. His left eye has been shut and open on and off. We took him to a vet and they gave us drops but they haven't helped if anything made it worse because for the last day or two his eye has been consistently shut. he hasn't opened it at all today and his eye is like hard and a little crusty. The vet said they took swabs for a bacterial infection and found nothing. The vet also flushed his eye. They said the next step is to give us oral antibiotics that will adress a systemic infection. They said if that dosen't work then they'd consider taking a blood test but are concerned they wont get enough blood because he is young (6 month old male panther). Do you think this is the right direction to head or should we take an alternative action? Also his behavior is normal except for the eye. He still eats and we put him on the free range normally. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6782.jpg
    IMG_6782.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_6793.JPG
    IMG_6793.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0230.jpeg
    IMG_0230.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 109
Jango has been having a very inconsistent eye problem for a few weeks now. His left eye has been shut and open on and off. We took him to a vet and they gave us drops but they haven't helped if anything made it worse because for the last day or two his eye has been consistently shut. he hasn't opened it at all today and his eye is like hard and a little crusty. The vet said they took swabs for a bacterial infection and found nothing. The vet also flushed his eye. They said the next step is to give us oral antibiotics that will adress a systemic infection. They said if that dosen't work then they'd consider taking a blood test but are concerned they wont get enough blood because he is young (6 month old male panther). Do you think this is the right direction to head or should we take an alternative action? Also his behavior is normal except for the eye. He still eats and we put him on the free range normally. Thanks.
what do y'all think? his eye is still inconstistently open and sometimes he tries to flush it but his eye dosent close and its all cloudy. This is what it looks like when he tries to flush it. it stays like this for like a few seconds but it happens pretty often

I would take him to a vet. Normally I'd venture to guess there was some debris inside it...but if it cloudy that's not a great sign.
We have been taking him to and calling the vet.

The vet said they took swabs for a bacterial infection and found nothing. The vet also flushed his eye. They said the next step is to give us oral antibiotics that will adress a systemic infection. They said if that dosen't work then they'd consider taking a blood test but are concerned they wont get enough blood because he is young (6 month old male panther).

Yeah I get them from petco that’s why 😞
We have been taking him to and calling the vet.

The vet said they took swabs for a bacterial infection and found nothing. The vet also flushed his eye. They said the next step is to give us oral antibiotics that will adress a systemic infection. They said if that dosen't work then they'd consider taking a blood test but are concerned they wont get enough blood because he is young (6 month old male panther).
I did read that you took him.
I'd be leery to be treating for unknown causes.
I guess maybe someone else will jump in here, but at this point I'd be at the vet again.

Imho i think it looks like a vitamin A deficiency.

What are you feeding? What supplements? How often?

Lighting?

I just say this cuz i had a similar issue and here is a picture for reference

Attachments

• 20200620_133745.jpg
    20200620_133745.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 67
Imho i think it looks like a vitamin A deficiency.

What are you feeding? What supplements? How often?

Lighting?

I just say this cuz i had a similar issue and here is a picture for reference
That could be a possibility because he dosen't eat that much. he should be at this age but he only eats like 5 a day im gonna buy a wider variety of bugs to see if he'll eat more. Would it still be a vit. a defeciency if its only affecting one eye?

locusts, sometimes waxworms, bsf/l, dubias. Im gonna buy some silkworms as well.
Calci dust 6 days a week.
D3 once every two weeks.
Multivitamin once every two weeks.

I have earthpro a but i haven't been using it. Should i? What else could i do o increase vitamin a levels?

t5ho lighting 9 inches down from basking.

Last edited:
really? does reptivite have high levels of A?

And aslo would a vitamin defeciency only affect one eye?
It has preformed vitamin A, which I believe chams can process (might be wrong...still wrapping my head around how vit a works). Many other multis don’t.
My panther Jack had one bad eye when I got him...he kept it closed, it got crusty. He hadn’t gotten any multivitamins before me. I use the Arcadia regimen and within a week his eye was improved and within a few weeks, fully resolved.
If you’re using Reptivite, I would think the problem is something besides Vit A deficiency.

What type of UV light are you using. I know you said earlier, but what bulb are you using specifically

Back
Top Bottom