Jade plants

Hey! Just wondering if jade plants are safe? I read that they are safe however, I just put it in my enclosure yesterday and seen my Veiled Chameleon eat 2 leaves today. He has been fine since and hasnt eaten anymore of it as of now. Just wondering if i need to take it out or not?

I rescued him about a week ago and have kept his enclosure/lighting as it was before to try to lessen stress. This is the first change we made since we had him. I have a large pothos and spiderplant to put in to replace his old fake vines in the coming days. Also changing his lighting to t5 as soon as bulb comes in the mail. (currently on compact from previous owners)

Any advice or tips would be appreciated!
20230302_140832.jpg

Hello and welcome! This is an excellent place to get help and support for your little one!

Did you name him Randal from Monsters Inc? I love that!

I know jade leaves can get quite large and thick; I would worry about a choking hazard. Check out the attached photo and see if that helps you out!
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 11.41.38 AM.png

I’m not sure about toxicity for chameleons, but I did use jade in my leopard gecko tanks. However, I would still remove it and replace it with something not only known to be safe, but more tolerant of the amount of water it will be exposed to. If you are looking for a tall plant, schefflera are excellent choices. Of course, pothos pothos pothos…so versatile and fills just about every space given enough time.

Back
Top Bottom