Jackson's

dino1920

today I went to my local reptile store and they had two jackson's chameleon, they both had three horns but the owner said that one of them was a female. I thought only males had three horns, is it possible for a female to have three horns?

Sure. Females of the nominate species (Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii) can have no visible horns at all to mere horn nubs to three full horns. Although in the latter instance they are not as developed or large as the males. You generally don’t find this species in pet stores though.

The more commonly seen sub-species (Trioceros jacksonii xantholophus) again can have three somewhat developed horns but it is not the norm.

The female of other sub-species (Trioceros jacksonii merumontanus) only have one horn.

There are photos of each on this great article: http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulManchen.html

Clearly if you want an exact ID on either or both of the specimens in question, then you will have to supply photos.

no jacksoni with 3 hornes, only males. Jacksoni female could has one, dépends on species Xantho or Jacksoni Jacksonii

jacksonii jaacksonii females from 1 horn to 3, xantho non horn, merus non to 1 horn. there are exeptions but this are the rule.

Well, what i can tell about this species i know well, is the only female with 3 horns could be Jacksoni Jacksonii but to be honest you have 2 really small and one could be more, but not as a male. Sometimes it's only one. About Xantho i didn't have female with. About the merumontanus, just one for the female. But i don't want to say i know all about them. I just have 10 years of breeding and this is not enough to be sure of all with chameleons :)

Well, what i can tell about this species i know well, is the only female with 3 horns could be Jacksoni Jacksonii but to be honest you have 2 really small and one could be more, but not as a male. Sometimes it's only one. About Xantho i didn't have female with. About the merumontanus, just one for the female. But i don't want to say i know all about them. I just have 10 years of breeding and this is not enough to be sure of all with chameleons :)
I am sorry. can you refresh that? I didn´t quite get what you meant with that.

Female J Jacksonii could have 3 horns - 2 small and 1 could be higher - Sometimes only one as meru.
Xantho, i didn't have female with horn(s).
Is it clearer with my frenglish ?? :)

Hi Benjlan ! could you share with us picture of the lady ? (and the male ?)
Female always retreats when the camera comes out, but here's the male. Here's a really bad pic of the female.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 236
I think it's more J Jacksonii than Xantho, Benjlan. To confirm with the size of your male if an adult one. Xantho are bigger. around 30/35 cm

I think it's more J Jacksonii than Xantho, Benjlan. To confirm with the size of your male if an adult one. Xantho are bigger. around 30/35 cm
They were sold to me as xantho, but I did have doubt. How would I confirm? They are not adults.

well, it's not easy with your pictures Benjlan, to be honest. When you will have time try to take others and i will try to confirm you. But if your female has small "horns" it's J Jacksonii, i don't see correctly on the pic. From my side, i have never seen Xantho female with horns, but again, it's only my personal experience of breeder.

Back
Top Bottom