Jackson's walking and staying on bottom of cage and pawing against glass.

XiongBermudaKid

Bermuda (jacksons + male) spends atleast 2-3 hours walking around and pawing against the glass in the bottom of the cage, I'm not sure why, when he goes down there, I raise the lamp up higher because it might be too hot, but he just stays down there and something is wrong, when he is pawing he doesn't show any stress colors and has plenty of hiding spots (in this one big plant, it is not plastic) which makes it even more confusing. He has drank, sometimes from my syringe I've had him for almost a month now, my dad took care of him for a month before he gave it to me for my late birthday celebration back in December 17, his poop is brown, urine is white and has mucus all over them.

He eats mealworms (he's scared of crickets so we are waiting for him to get bigger then we will start feeding crickets, mealworms are not good for nutrition and they are gut loaded with leafy greens and carrot, supplemented with calcium without D3 every feeding, eats once every 2-3 days) I have researched so much about it, I've checked on him so many times for signs of parasites or bad things, but I feel like I am missing something. I am planning to get multivitamins since he might be missing some vitamins because he is eating unedible stuff!!! Luckily no blockage so far.

I mist 3-4 times a day for one minute each mist, let it dry out for a bit at a time,, no automatic misting system and we can't get one for reasons.

Oh and yes, the lamp is UVB, I have a night light but I don't use it most of the time since it's bad for chameleons when they sleep.

He seems healthy, its confusing, I've researched a lot.

Almost forgot, his cage is 36 inches high, 24 inches wide and 24 inches deep and he is 5 months old, been under our care for almost 2 months.

Really look at how much heat you are using. Start by turning off your heat lamp for several hours a day and see if that doesn't help. Then we can look at everything else.

When you get the chance we can review your set up with the questions below.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Jacksons, male, 5 months, been in care for 2 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 1-3 times a week, my family holds him everyday because they say he doesn't show any stress colors when they do so, they hold him for about 10 mins a day.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Mealworms, resorting to crickets when he gets bigger, he's scared of them. He usually eats 4 or 5 every 2 days, right now he only ate one in 3 days. I take the mealworms out of the cup and pour them into a bowl of cut carrots and leafy greens, I feed them to him within 72 hours, any that is left will be put back into the cup and will be replaced with new ones.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? (Reptivite) Calcium without D3, I use it every feeding, planning to get multivitamins soon.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a spray bottle, I spray the enclosure 4 times a day for one minute, I cover the light for a few minutes then spray to tell him that I'm going to spray soon so he can hide from the water getting to him and it acts like a rainstorm, spray once at 7:00 AM, 11:00 AM, 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM, I see him drink from the leaves, when I do I spray more water on the leaves (not to where they reach him) so he drinks from them, I tried a dripper, doesn't wanna drink from that.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Urate always white with a bit of yellow and poop is brown, recently I saw a mealworm got pooped out, it wasn't completely digested but most of it was digested, this might be because of how long he spent down there. Unsure if he has been tested for parasites.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. My dad got him from petco, he too care of Bermuda for a month then gave it to me for my birthday yay, I've been taking care of him ever since. Ever since he was here was always pawing and spending time in the dirt.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Glass, my room is about 55-65F degrees, chilly down here so my dad had to use glass, 3 feet tall, 2 feet wide, 2 feet deep.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Unsure of brand, my dad bought all the things for the enclosure, its a lamp with a UVB bulb, unsure of watts, goes on from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, 7:00 PM, lights off.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 68 degrees to 82 Degrees, lowest overnight temp is 62F, there's a thermometer that measures the temperature of the enclosure, I adjust the bulb higher or lower depending if Bermuda needs more heat or not.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 80% when misted, in 4 hours it goes down to 45%. In the weekends I spray 4 times a day for a minute each, I let a humidifier out on night from 10 PM to 5 or 6 AM to maintain that 70-80 humidity at night, then let it dry out for a bit before morning, there's a clock thing that measures the humidity levels in the enclosure.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Only one live plant, no fake plants, it is a Spathipnyllum.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Our room, its like a basement so it's chilly, not near any ventilation, there's usually 2 or more people in the room at once, only time we go up to the cage is if my family wants to hold the chameleon, or to feed him or mist the enclosure. We try our best to not make him see us. The cage is lifted 2 feet off the ground on a desk.

Location - Where are you geographically located? Washington, Kent.

Current Problem - Bermuda keeps going to the bottom of his enclosure to either walk around or to scratch the glass, does it atleast 3 hours a day. At random periods, I don't want to make him miserable any longer, but he never shows stress colors when he walks or scratches, so weird.

Really look at how much heat you are using. Start by turning off your heat lamp for several hours a day and see if that doesn't help. Then we can look at everything else.

When you get the chance we can review your set up with the questions below.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.
Sorry I didn't know on what you meant by geographically, its rainy and cold here

Attachments

• IMG_20230117_161535.jpg
    IMG_20230117_161535.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230117_161446.jpg
    IMG_20230117_161446.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20230117_161417.jpg
    IMG_20230117_161417.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20230117_161403.jpg
    IMG_20230117_161403.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 63
First lets talk about the digging at the glass. The most common reason for this is too much heat. You have an all glass cage in a humid area of the world. I'm sure the humidity is too high as well. You will not need to much heat and only for a few short periods of 20-30 minutes of your 40- 50 watt bulb on and off during the day. He can not get away from the heat if he needs to. If your area is frequently humid then you will be best with a screen cage a much larger screen cage. If it is usually cold and dry then glass can work but you will need a computer fan for air circulation.

Handling - 1-3 times a week, my family holds him everyday because they say he doesn't show any stress colors when they do so, they hold him for about 10 mins a day. ---- He should not be handled unless he walks out on to your hand of his own free will. If he has to be picked up or nudged on to your hand then he should be left alone. The signs of stress can be hidden. Daily handling is too much. I only handle mine to treat medically or clean the cage.

Feeding - Mealworms, resorting to crickets when he gets bigger, he's scared of them. He usually eats 4 or 5 every 2 days, right now he only ate one in 3 days. I take the mealworms out of the cup and pour them into a bowl of cut carrots and leafy greens, I feed them to him within 72 hours, any that is left will be put back into the cup and will be replaced with new ones.-----Mealworms are a very poor feeder with low nutritional value. See if you can get smaller crickets and gut load them with items from the gut load list https://www.chameleonforums.com/images/ccr/care-images/chameleon-gutload.jpg
It may take a few days for him to start eating but in the long run it will be better for him. He will grow bigger and stronger. If you can mix in other feeders.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/images/ccr/care-images/chameleon-food.jpg from this list that will help also.

Supplements - (Reptivite) Calcium without D3, I use it every feeding, planning to get multivitamins soon. You only need to use it every other day. Daily use for this species will cause constipation and a poor appetite. Information on schedules for supplements https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/my-jacksons-supplement-schedule.2463/

Watering- You may only need to do 2 times a day morning and night but you need to get a gauge to measure the humidity to be sure. Days can be 40-50% and nights can go to the 80-90% range.

Plants- Your cage could use more plant cover. Pothos is a great plant to grow into the top area of the cage.

That should get you started. Please ask if you need more details.

First lets talk about the digging at the glass. The most common reason for this is too much heat. You have an all glass cage in a humid area of the world. I'm sure the humidity is too high as well. You will not need to much heat and only for a few short periods of 20-30 minutes of your 40- 50 watt bulb on and off during the day. He can not get away from the heat if he needs to. If your area is frequently humid then you will be best with a screen cage a much larger screen cage. If it is usually cold and dry then glass can work but you will need a computer fan for air circulation.

Handling - 1-3 times a week, my family holds him everyday because they say he doesn't show any stress colors when they do so, they hold him for about 10 mins a day. ---- He should not be handled unless he walks out on to your hand of his own free will. If he has to be picked up or nudged on to your hand then he should be left alone. The signs of stress can be hidden. Daily handling is too much. I only handle mine to treat medically or clean the cage.

Feeding - Mealworms, resorting to crickets when he gets bigger, he's scared of them. He usually eats 4 or 5 every 2 days, right now he only ate one in 3 days. I take the mealworms out of the cup and pour them into a bowl of cut carrots and leafy greens, I feed them to him within 72 hours, any that is left will be put back into the cup and will be replaced with new ones.-----Mealworms are a very poor feeder with low nutritional value. See if you can get smaller crickets and gut load them with items from the gut load list https://www.chameleonforums.com/images/ccr/care-images/chameleon-gutload.jpg
It may take a few days for him to start eating but in the long run it will be better for him. He will grow bigger and stronger. If you can mix in other feeders.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/images/ccr/care-images/chameleon-food.jpg from this list that will help also.

Supplements - (Reptivite) Calcium without D3, I use it every feeding, planning to get multivitamins soon. You only need to use it every other day. Daily use for this species will cause constipation and a poor appetite. Information on schedules for supplements https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/my-jacksons-supplement-schedule.2463/

Watering- You may only need to do 2 times a day morning and night but you need to get a gauge to measure the humidity to be sure. Days can be 40-50% and nights can go to the 80-90% range.

Plants- Your cage could use more plant cover. Pothos is a great plant to grow into the top area of the cage.

That should get you started. Please ask if you need more details.
Thank you. It's possible for me to do all of this.

Back
Top Bottom