Jackson's has swollen back left leg

I'm glad you're still going to the vet tonight.
Is he still seeming to be weak?
Since the toenail is missing on a different it's very unlikely that it's the problem.
Agreed, still weak. Long shot of a theory but we'll see what the vet comes back with!

Good news is it’s not gout or an infection. Bad news is that the left side of his pelvis has a fracture. Vet prescribed no climbing, mild pain med, and syringe hydrating/ feeding.

I'm glad it's not gout or an infection but it's a shame he has a fracture...hopefully it will heal ok. Poor critter.

Maybe you should make him a hospital cage...so he won't fall and hurt it more?

(That's a shallow cage with very low branches but make sure he still gets UVB and don't "bake" him with the basking light by putting the same light you have on th,eh big cage too close to him in the shallower cage. He'll need the UVB to use the calcium to heal the bones.)

Keep us posted on his progress.

I'm glad it's not gout or an infection but it's a shame he has a fracture...hopefully it will heal ok. Poor critter.

Maybe you should make him a hospital cage...so he won't fall and hurt it more?

(That's a shallow cage with very low branches but make sure he still gets UVB and don't "bake" him with the basking light by putting the same light you have on th,eh big cage too close to him in the shallower cage. He'll need the UVB to use the calcium to heal the bones.)

Keep us posted on his progress.
Accidents happens, i'll do what I can to give him what he needs to get better. Just modified his setup to only be an inch off the ground. i have an angled branch to encourage him to sleep on an angle which should help his pelvis to not heal lopsided.

I'll definitely take your advise and not bake him for sure. Do you know specifically what temperature would be best for recovery?

I'll do some more research tomorrow and see what I can find. Thanks for the support, very much appreciated

You can keep his basking area in the 83 - 85˚F range. His prior situation may have weakened his bones. I've seen Jacksons make to serious leaps to the ground without injury. I'm sure your care and improved husbandry will improve his bone density. Do keep us updated.

Update: Vet prescribed Ox Bow Carnivore Care (0.5-1 CCs every 8-12 hours till able to feed normally) along with Vanilla Ensure mixed in for added protein. I didn't add the Ensure at first because it sounded wrong to me. This morning I added 0.2 CCs Ensure. Esky spackled the bottom of his cage with the runs.. which had him super dehydrated. I'm frustrated and skeptical of this vet. Also prescribed very low dosed Meloxicam as a pain killer.

Is there another higher protein source I can add in?
Should I even be giving a chameleon pain killers? (chameleons have the neurotransmitters for pain but I believe its perceived in their brain.)

Carnivore care has plenty of protein and I've seen it used in a variety of species. You do only want to use it short term if you can. It has protein sourced from animals not insects so it's ok for a little while but could lead to gout over the long term in chameleons.
I've used meloxicam in my chameleons with injuries, seems pretty standard.

unfortunately, the Ensure induced dehydration most likely caused a blood clot last night and Esky died in his sleep. much was learned about this species of cham over this past week. thank you for all the advice and support everyone

Thanks again everyone, the support was and is appreciated. Already looking for a new Cham to bring some life to the enclosure :D Much was learned and experienced, all of which will be applied!

Back
Top Bottom