Jackson's Chameleon

louwillie

I might be adopting a Jackson's pretty soon. How is there temperament?? Are they as bad as veileds?? Thanks :)

I hope you don't mind, since I was thinking about getting a Jackson soon, i might as well add my questions well.

1) can you keep multiple in one cage?
2) lighting, 12 hours of basking/uv?

I've heard they are on average not as ill tempered as veileds but of course that doesn't mean anything because it depends on the individual animal anyway. As for keeping more than one together that's not going to work because one is going to be dominant and stress the other one out causing health problems. The lighting I can't answer because I don't have a Jackson. I do know that they require high humidity levels and lower temperatures than say veiled chameleons.

xanths,vs.veileds?

imo, most xanths are sweet hearts compared to veileds or panthers, but they are wild animals and even xanths from the same clutch may have different dispositions./ as far as housing them together?, female xanths of approx the same age will sometimes co-habitate successfuly in a cage of moderate size, but once again, they are wild animals, and they all have their own personalities, so it would not only depend on the chemistry of the two chams, but how well that chemistry matches with the husbandry practices of the keeper. and two xanths that may not do well together in a 2x2x3' cage, might do fine in a 2x6x6' cage, and of course it would help to have two prime basking spots, 2 prime feeding spots and 2 drippers, but if you are going to do that, why not just have two cages and save yourself the risk of fecally transmitted cross-contamination as well as other husbandry issues like ease of cage cleaning, stress considerations etc. just because it can be done, doesnt mean its a good choice, and probably not the best approach for somebody new to jacksons. you should be confident you know how to keep them healthy on an individual basis, before you experiment with co-habitation. jmo

Last edited:
OK, I just bought a Jackson two days ago.

Cage is about 20x20x40, inside there is a big wooden structure (for climbing) plus fake vegetation all over the place for cover. Cage is elevated on a stand.

18 inch reptisun 10.0 (on from about 10am to 10pm)

temp is room temp, about 75f
was told if temp is around 75-80 no basking light is required, person that told me that was the breeder from mid-west All Animal Expo.

My question/concern is that he keeps staying on the bottom branch all the time, like he is hiding. Is that normal?

btw, cage is screenmesh and sprayed twice a day.

OK, I just bought a Jackson two days ago.

Cage is about 20x20x40, inside there is a big wooden structure (for climbing) plus fake vegetation all over the place for cover. Cage is elevated on a stand.

18 inch reptisun 10.0 (on from about 10am to 10pm)

temp is room temp, about 75f
was told if temp is around 75-80 no basking light is required, person that told me that was the breeder from mid-west All Animal Expo.

My question/concern is that he keeps staying on the bottom branch all the time, like he is hiding. Is that normal?

btw, cage is screenmesh and sprayed twice a day.

Can you please post a photo of the enclosure with the surrounding area? I keep mine individually housed and with a lot of humidity and water. I water/mist several times every day.

Sometimes it does take a day or two to get over the shock. Make sure you have a good combination of climbing opportunities (hanging vines, branches that are mostly vertical, etc.) and hanging out spots (horizontal branches or vines that he can sit on to survey his realm).

I keep a soft heat lamp at the top of my cage so he can go to one warm spot to heat up if he needs it. But the rest of the cage is in the 70's, so he has room to find his ideal temp.

Mine will come out to bask, but most of the time he is in his favorite hiding place, which is on a branch in the back left corner of the cage. Don't ask me why but it's his favorite. And I imagine that's where he goes if he wants to be cool, alone, and protected from view. Yours may be doing the same thing if he just got there and is feeling stressed. Give him a little while to get used to the idea.

he finally started climbing and spending more time on top of the cage, so maybe it was just stress.

I will try to post a picture tomorrow

My Jackson is quite docile, he never minds me getting into his cage. Yet he still dislikes being held, but likes being hand fed. =)

I wouldn't house both of them in an enclosure that size. That size you listed would be good for a single jackson.

Back
Top Bottom