Jackson's Chameleon: Startup/Where To Buy

Connorology

Avid Member
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm new to chameleons, but not to reptiles. I recently decided it was time to make the plunge, and have been accumulating equipment for the last couple weeks. I finally set up my enclosure this weekend. I've got an umbrella plant, pothos, a few bolt on branches and those artificial vines everyone seems to use.

I'm using a modified bird cage (It's super nice oak enclosure from Designer Aviaries, retails for $800 new, I got it off craigslist for $80). For humidity I have a fogger on a timer, a drip system I made from some sprinkler parts, and a plain hand mister. Humidity seems pretty solidly 50-60% with just hand held mistings, I can get to hold around 60-80% no problem with the fogger and drip system. I've got a low wattage basking light for heat and a tube for UVB.

I will post pics if anyone cares to critique the set up prior to introducing an actual animal. I've followed all the guidelines to the letter save the modified birdcage set up, but my temperature and humidity readings are on the money and I'm comfortable cup feeding to prevent feeder escapes.

My actual question though: Where do I go about actually buying a healthy Jackson's chameleon? Pet stores in my area don't have much of a selection. There is one reptile store nearby that has new babies they will be selling soon, but I don't know if it's smart to start with a newborn. Another store has a decent looking male, but my hometown is pretty hot in the summer, and they have a basking light on an enclosure that is in a store that's already 80 degrees F. He had a couple small patches of shed on him as well. He did try to run away when the sales guy took him out to show me, seemed pretty feisty as he squirmed and tried to bite the dude, and turned from green to darker colors as he got mad at being handled (As I suppose would be expected). The sales guy told me he is eating regularly, and he didn't seem skinny or sickly to me, aside from hanging out on the bottom half of the cage (probably because the store's so hot).

I'm currently waitlisted at better store in a nearby city as well, so that's an option, but they have no idea when they'll be getting new stock.

I'm interested to hear the thoughts of experienced keepers, especially keepers of Jackson's. If an animal from the local store is eating regularly, and looks healthy despite a hot store and a few tiny shed patches, is that an ok bet, or should I steer clear? Also, how difficult are babies to raise up to adults? When do they start looking like actual adults (horns/coloring?).

My other options are order online (which I've always been hesitant to do, especially in the heat of the summer) or wait until the local reptile show in September, but that's a ways away. Does anyone have good/bad experiences ordering online? I know it's one day shipping, usually with a guaranteed live arrival, but I would hate to kill an animal with or without a guarantee. On a more pragmatic concern, I could envision a scenario where an animal arrives alive but dies shortly after, leaving me out ~$150 or so. It should be noted the local cham is $60, so with shipping, an internet chameleon could be easily twice the price. I have no problem with that if it gets me a healthier animal, but my concern is there'd really be no good way to tell.

Thoughts? Concerns? Feelings?

Thanks guys.

Just figured out how to add pictures:

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forums :D there are breeders on here, and also the sponsors that carry Jax - can you get a pic of the male you are considering ?

Thanks! If I get back to the store I'll take a picture, it's a bit out of the way though, so I'm not anticipating being able to.

I will look into breeders here. If someone is vetted I'd be much more comfortable ordering online.

Thanks! If I get back to the store I'll take a picture, it's a bit out of the way though, so I'm not anticipating being able to.

I will look into breeders here. If someone is vetted I'd be much more comfortable ordering online.

I know for a fact that flchams.com has some jackson's for sale!

I'm in California, think they'd be ok on the cross country flight? Or would I be better off getting one from somewhere closer?

I suppose if it's 1 day shipping, it might be the same either way?

The enclosure looks okay. Most definitely need to get a bigger one in a couple months maximum when you get the cham. I would stay away from buying any chameleons from the pet stores. They don't keep them well enough to where you would get have a good friendly cham. I recommend purchasing one from a breeder if possible.

They will be okay on a flight. Actually FLChams was/is going to be at the sponsored expo in San Diego, I believe. Might have one there. Otherwise, ordering for next day arrival at 10:30am is perfectly okay.

ChamEden, thanks for the comment.

You don't have the cage dimensions. How big of a cage would you recommend? I've seen cages smaller than this one recommended pretty frequently as a minimum size, even on these forums. In your experience with Jackson's Chameleons, did you find they need even larger cages?

Back
Top Bottom