jacksons chameleon setup cost

$150 for the animal Umm depends.
What about the rest. Food, cage, uv? Is that in the same budget

thats enough to just buy the chameleon. for everything i would set aside about 400 to 500. your gonna need a cage, lights, plants, supplaments, food, some sort of misting system (auto or manual), and the cham itself. this is not a cheap hobby by any means! oh and you should also set aside money for vet visits cause those can be expensive also.

Well, fir the chameleon itself that is enough. But you need to do MONTHS of research in advance. It is probably like what everybody else said,400-500 dollars for the whole thing, plus it is good to have 100-200 dollars aside for vet visit if something comes up.

its nice to see someone thinking ahead :D I can highly suggest you put the $150 in a vet fund, and then start again - I just lost my cham a few weeks ago, and her vet cost were way over that- I just told one of my friends today I was saving up AGAIN , but so far had not even met my "vet quota" lol - I hope to be able to shop in the spring , but you can collect things along the way and READ the forums - alot to learn too - if there are reptile shows in your area, you can pick up many things cheaper( but I would only buy new light bulbs) , and also view different chams , see what you like
they are truly a unique pet , but also require a LOT of time and $

I was thinking about going to the reptile super show at the pomana faiplex and that would be were I would by the supplies

thats enough to just buy the chameleon. for everything i would set aside about 400 to 500. your gonna need a cage, lights, plants, supplaments, food, some sort of misting system (auto or manual), and the cham itself. this is not a cheap hobby by any means! oh and you should also set aside money for vet visits cause those can be expensive also.

What this guy said! You will need a cage (my Jacksons is in a 4ft tall), UV lights, basking lights, plants, vines, supplements, at least 4-5 different feeder insects, misting system or manual, a dripper, vet fund etc. And Jacksons are really hard to keep hydrated. You really do need all water methods possible, mine gets tired of feeders and needs variety plus its healthy.

Wow you guys buy very pricey things lol. $150 for a Jackson's?? I just paid $150 for a pair of sailfins. :confused: :eek:

Every Jacksons chameleon I've owned or ever seen has been small and does not need a giant cage.:cool:

Here's what I would have spent on a new animal had I not already had a bunch of lights/cages/supplements etc:

cage $75
light strip from Walmart $10
UVB bulb from Amazon.com $21
heat lamp $15
lightbulbs $2
sprayer from Lowes/Home Depot $8
dripper $10
plants from Lowes/Home Depot $20
calcium powder with and without D3/vitamins $30

That's $189. $200 if you throw in a couple dozen crickets. What in the world are you people spending the other $300 on?? Of course it's good to have money aside for an emergency vet visit, but you don't need $400 for supplies unless you're going to get an automatic mister right off the bat :p

Maybe I'm just good at finding deals. Don't pay petstore prices! I check Ebay, Amazon, and LLLreptile constantly. Not to mention Craigslist! :cool:

Last edited:
You also need to think about how you will be letting your cage drain, and that can cost more money to put together. I'd say 200-300 dollars is pretty acurate...My stand was not inexpensive, but I got a nice wooden one that was made for a fish tank. You could go inexpensive as possible, but don't cut corners! I've got a timer power strip for everything and a mist king since I do work full time and I wanted to make sure he stayed hydrated and humid enough. plants are pretty cheap and that helps to keep up the humidity. Food for me is about 40 dollars a month because I buy bugs online as well as at the petstore to keep the variety of food. You can get branches from around your neighborhood as long as you sterilize them and strip them of any loose bark. I started out somewhat "cheap" for my panther, but as he got older, I upgraded to a big boy cage for more money spent, and now I am upgrading one more time just because I had a better idea of how I want things now and want to make things look nicer! lol It's a fun hobby, but also can get pricey. You need to make sure you have everything that little guy is going to need or you will be spending time at the vet! Good luck with everything!:)

Back
Top Bottom