Jacksons Chameleon-set up help

Hi everyone! I have been in love with Chameleons since i was a kid, recently i have begun researching the Jacksons chameleon. Currently i am temporarily caring for a crested gecko in a bio-active 18x18x36" terrarium. I'll be giving him back to his owner in a couple weeks and would like to transform my tank into a suitable habitat for a Jacksons chameleon. My only issue is that my tank only has a screen top. I have read articles that say you need an all screen tank, is that true? In addition can anyone recommend a good basking light and UVB light? Thanks all!

18v18x36 would be small for and adult Yellow crested Jackson AKA jacksonii xantholphus. There is a smaller subspecies that would fit that size, jacksonii jacksonii.
Glass vivs cab be used but they need to have at the very least a vent near the bottom so air can be drawn up and through. A computer fan can be added to increase the draw if necessary. You will have to adjust as necessary.
T5 lighing is used to get consistent UVB in the upper levels of the cage. For that size and a Jackson's you would need 6% or 5,0 bulbs. I reccommend getting a dual fixture so you can run a plant light as well. Finding one 18 inches may be a problem. Basking bulbs have become difficult to get but 40-60 watt incandescent is what you are looking for. You may need a thermostat for it or just run it at intervals through out the day so you don'r over heat him.

18v18x36 would be small for and adult Yellow crested Jackson AKA jacksonii xantholphus. There is a smaller subspecies that would fit that size, jacksonii jacksonii.
Glass vivs cab be used but they need to have at the very least a vent near the bottom so air can be drawn up and through. A computer fan can be added to increase the draw if necessary. You will have to adjust as necessary.
T5 lighing is used to get consistent UVB in the upper levels of the cage. For that size and a Jackson's you would need 6% or 5,0 bulbs. I reccommend getting a dual fixture so you can run a plant light as well. Finding one 18 inches may be a problem. Basking bulbs have become difficult to get but 40-60 watt incandescent is what you are looking for. You may need a thermostat for it or just run it at intervals through out the day so you don'r over heat him.

Great! thanks for the help!!!

Back
Top Bottom