Jackson's Chameleon not eating anymore, please help :(

Waxworms are really best used as treats. Silkworms and black soldier fly larvae are much better nutritionally speaking. I buy most of my feeders from Rainbowmealworms.com, highly recommend. I buy their crickets, fly larvae, superworms, and phoenix worms (BSFL). Recommend Morifeeders.com for silkworms. Joshsfrogs.com is another great site to buy feeders.
Awesome, thank you so much! I freeze my waxworms and mealworms, can I freeze those worms too? And how would they stay alive through the delivery process? Sorry, I'm kinda clueless.

I researched what going full bioactive was and this was something I was thinking about doing! It looks great, and it's probably better for my Chryssa anyways. I found a video on it, but the comment section has some mixed reviews. If you could give it a glance and let me know what you think, that would be amazing! It's super detailed and would basically step me through the process. One question I would have about this method is would it introduce difference organisms into the vivarium such as fungi gnats or something? Because that might be a big N O for me :/

I am at work so I didn't watch the video. The biodude's videos are great to watch but he's always oversimplifying details. You need to get a balance with the substrate moisture and misting sessions and humidity. Also the type of plants and their preferred substrate and light requirements are never mentioned by the biodude.

Yes it would introduce other living creatures into your enclosure without you knowing. For example, my own enclosure has a few earthworms and fungus gnats here and there. These are actually beneficial organism.

Awesome, thank you so much! I freeze my waxworms and mealworms, can I freeze those worms too? And how would they stay alive through the delivery process? Sorry, I'm kinda clueless.
chameleon-food.jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

do you mean you refrigerate your worms (not freeze, right?) Yes, you can refrigerate both blue bottle fly larvae and black soldier fly larvae. I pull them out of the fridge and keep at room temperature too when I want them to pupate into flies, chameleons adore flying insects! I do two day delivery and everything lives just fine. I keep my superworms at room temperature, they last a really long time. Rainbow knows how to package and uses ventilated boxes.

I am at work so I didn't watch the video. The biodude's videos are great to watch but he's always oversimplifying details. You need to get a balance with the substrate moisture and misting sessions and humidity. Also the type of plants and their preferred substrate and light requirements are never mentioned by the biodude.

Yes it would introduce other living creatures into your enclosure without you knowing. For example, my own enclosure has a few earthworms and fungus gnats here and there. These are actually beneficial organism.
I really want what's best for Chryssa so this is something I'm looking into. But I'm also a giant wuss when it comes to any type of bugs. I have managed to feed her, but bugs honestly freak me out so much I'm positive I have a phobia. Introducing new organisms into my bedroom (where her cage resides) might be drawing a line for me since there tend to be escapee crickets already wandering my room. That's another reason why it might be harder for her to get her nutrition. I know wax moths are a very loved food source for chameleons, but I'd be terrified! I'm slowly trying to get over this fear, though. I mean, I never would have touched a bag of crickets or worms before I got her. I'd rather be terrified and traumatized and she is happy, than the other way around.

do you mean you refrigerate your worms (not freeze, right?) Yes, you can refrigerate both blue bottle fly larvae and black soldier fly larvae. I pull them out of the fridge and keep at room temperature too when I want them to pupate into flies, chameleons adore flying insects! I do two day delivery and everything lives just fine. I keep my superworms at room temperature, they last a really long time. Rainbow knows how to package and uses ventilated boxes.
Yes, I definitely meant refrigerate! So... Here's my thing. I'm absolutely terrified of bugs. Is there a surefire method to getting the flying food into the cage, and KEEPING it there? Thanks for dealing with my phobias :)

I use a gum dispenser to hatch the Black soldier and other flies. It has an easy to close lid so they don't escape the container when I have the cage open.
I just put the larvae and the substrate they come in in the dispenser and when the cage is closed leave the small flap open so the flies can emerge as they hatch. You may have to add a few drops of water weekly to keep them moist.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 10.41.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 10.41.53 AM.png
    116.8 KB · Views: 97
I would have to hatch them? or would it be a possibility to just purchase them? What would you recommend in my case? And thank you for the words of confidence, I'm really hoping I can actually get over my phobia :))

If you buy black soldier fly larvae they are like little white worms. If left out of the refrigerator and some where warm, like your cage, they will pupate and eventually hatch out as flies. They are very stimulating for most chameleons and encourage them to shoot their tongue.
You don't have to hatch them if you don't want to they are great to use as larvae and easy to feed (slow moving). I'm just giving you options.

It sounds like a great idea, just a little scary for me. I think I'll try to do this! Also, I fed her 2 crickets in a cup this morning, which is better than nothing :)

Oh! One thing that this link mentioned I found quite curious. It said no soil or dirt should be used in her vivarium! I had no idea that was something I should steer away from. I thought it made it easier to retain humidity, and easier to plant real plants. What's your thoughts on this?
The bioactive people already answered this one but here is my take on it. If you have a green thumb and not too many animals they seem to work very well. I kill the occasional plant so I like the convenience of having them in pots mounted on the sides of my cage that I can change out when they need care or replacement.
What you want to avoid is plain substrate, bark or fibre that isn't anchored by a plants root system. It's not worth the risk of having it get ingested and cause a blockage. I cover my soil in rocks larger than my chameleons head to anchor the soil and prevent ingestion. The bioactive use dry leaves.

If you buy black soldier fly larvae they are like little white worms. If left out of the refrigerator and some where warm, like your cage, they will pupate and eventually hatch out as flies. They are very stimulating for most chameleons and encourage them to shoot their tongue.
You don't have to hatch them if you don't want to they are great to use as larvae and easy to feed (slow moving). I'm just giving you options.
How long do you find that it typically takes the BSFl to pupate and hatch?

The bioactive people already answered this one but here is my take on it. If you have a green thumb and not too many animals they seem to work very well. I kill the occasional plant so I like the convenience of having them in pots mounted on the sides of my cage that I can change out when they need care or replacement.
What you want to avoid is plain substrate, bark or fibre that isn't anchored by a plants root system. It's not worth the risk of having it get ingested and cause a blockage. I cover my soil in rocks larger than my chameleons head to anchor the soil and prevent ingestion. The bioactive use dry leaves.
I think I might go for the potted plant route, too. Would you mind providing me pictures and step me through how I would go about doing this if it's not too much of a bother? Thank you again!

The easiest way is to buy Dragonstrand ledges. Dragonstrand is a site sponsor.
I'm working on a tutorial on how I make my side planters but I'm not even close to finished and it's messy.
To just hang plants in a cage you can place a bar across the top frame and hang plants on wires down from the bar.

I researched what going full bioactive was and this was something I was thinking about doing! It looks great, and it's probably better for my Chryssa anyways. I found a video on it, but the comment section has some mixed reviews. If you could give it a glance and let me know what you think, that would be amazing! It's super detailed and would basically step me through the process. One question I would have about this method is would it introduce difference organisms into the vivarium such as fungi gnats or something? Because that might be a big N O for me :/

That video is a fail for a multitude of reasons. For one, he's showcasing and setting up an enclosure that is only 18"x18"x36". All the accessories he uses in the video and peddles are for that enclosure only. Also, the price for all that stuff that he basically collects himself does not even include the enclosure. He markets his bioactive packages as if it's all you need but after spending $314.95 (XL), you'll still need:

Basking lamp
Basking bulb
UVB lamp
UVB T5 bulb
Temp thermometer
Humidity thermometer

And the plant bulb he sells is of Chinese prison camp quality. If you slightly over twist the bulb on the LED adaptor it snaps and it completely useless. There are numerous complaints about that bulb and all he'll do is maybe give you 10% off on your purchase of the replacement! I would run, not walk away from biodude.

I love bugs but I understand your hesitation! I bet you'll get used to having them around in no time. I think you should definitely try some silkworms, they're downright cute and they move super slowly. Very healthy, and most chams seem to like them. Note: they only eat mulberry leaves or mulberry chow.

Back
Top Bottom