Jackson's Chameleon gave birth tonight

megerkyx

My Jackson's Chameleon has given birth two babies. The other eggs were infertile. One of the babies has been moving around fine. The other one has something black coming out of it's stomach in the area you would think is near the genitals. When it was born it clung to the side of the cage and immediately started climbing upwards looking as though it ripped the sack off quickly maybe causing damage . We couldn't get to it immediately because mama and the baby were both hanging on the cage door.

Any idea what this may be?

image_67145473.JPG

When you discover babies in your chameleon cage you will be led on a spirited chase to find them all! It usually takes me until the next day to get them all!

baby in sac

This is how babies hit the ground. They then break out of their birthing sacs and scamper away. Some babies are not strong enough to escape these sacs. Some keepers help the baby out and some respect that not all babies were meant to survive. The choice is yours. Often there is nothing you can do. If you come home and find babies like this then they probably were not strong enough to live. This can be from a number of different causes. It is very difficult to determine if it was something in nutrition or environmental conditions.

unfertilized ova

Bright yellow or orange spheres are unfertilized ova that were expelled. It is normal to see these and there is nothing to be concerned about. When producing a brood from retained sperm, fewer babies are created and the chances of unfertilized ova increase

I can't see clearly...but it's likely either the yolk sack or the intestines/innards. Either way you need to keep it moist and clean so it won't stick to anything....and that isn't easy with such a small active critter.

I’m not sure either, I’ve only had male Jackson’s. I’m surprised there were only two though. You said there were some slugs, how many?

Is the little one with the black thing still active? I’d just keep an eye on it. Whatever is going to happen with him is what’s going to happen because he’s to tiny to treat. I hope he makes it.

Back
Top Bottom