Jacksons chameleon discolored tail

If you are using the Flukers With D3 every feeding that is what is causing the tail problem. That much D3 will cause tail necrosis. Do not use that any more for a couple months. Here is a more detailed write up on the likely source of the problem. D3 Poisoning
Here are a few accepted supplement schedules for Jackson's. My Jackson's Supplement Schedule
Do you have or know of a reptile vet on your area? We can help you find one.
Reptile Veterinarian Links:
Super informative!! Thanks for sharing this!! 💕

The body metabolizes Vitamin A and D into compounds for use, these compounds use the same receptor so if you overdose D3 you block Vitamin A and get a deficiency not only because in this case none has been offered in the diet and because D3 is blocking it in the body.

If you are using the Flukers With D3 every feeding that is what is causing the tail problem. That much D3 will cause tail necrosis. Do not use that any more for a couple months. Here is a more detailed write up on the likely source of the problem. D3 Poisoning
Here are a few accepted supplement schedules for Jackson's. My Jackson's Supplement Schedule
Do you have or know of a reptile vet on your area? We can help you find one.
Reptile Veterinarian Links:
Hey, sorry if I worded this incorrectly we are doing this maybe every 2-3 days and its only maybe a worm or two of it if we do this.

Oh and just posting an update for everyone that was worried. Thanks for the advice I am still new to this and trying to learn as much as I can. It looks like it was just a wound on the tail but the vet and the people at petsmart have all said to use a watered down iodine solution and put it on his tail in the affected area so we are starting treatment with that tomorrow. It seems like it is healing well because he has his curl back in it and there is very little discoloration other than the scab on it today. Looks like we may be good. The one thing that does concern me is he doesnt seem to like the little feeder crickets we bought since he hasnt been eating them much lately and prefers worms over other things but I think there are other threads on this so I am going to keep researching and make sure I get his diet a little more squared away

The body metabolizes Vitamin A and D into compounds for use, these compounds use the same receptor so if you overdose D3 you block Vitamin A and get a deficiency not only because in this case none has been offered in the diet and because D3 is blocking it in the body.
That's exactly it....they use the same receptors. I believe an imbalance in either the D3 or the A can have the same results in many ways. I believe Dr. Ken Lopez uses one (A or D3) to treat a hypervitminosis of the other.

Back
Top Bottom