JACKSONIIS EXPERTS!, a little help pls

leedragon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I wonder if a can keep a female j. j in a cages with the sides of 42 42 76 cm?
the female doesn´t find the food in hers cages witch is 76 76 122

Try cup feeding. I'm no expert on jacksons so I'm not too sure or the cage size requirement, but cup feeding usually solves the problem of not finding food.

Try cup feeding. I'm no expert on jacksons so I'm not too sure or the cage size requirement, but cup feeding usually solves the problem of not finding food.

And what if it's a wild caught animal (with a few exceptions, most T. jacksonii jacksonii are) that does not understand cup feeding?

Jacksons don't need as much space as a panther does. The size cage you described would be the smallest I would go to put her in.
Make sure it is planted well so that you maximize the usable space in the cage for her.

She should be able to find her food in the bigger cage. Afterall, in the wild, there are no boundaries and must hunt for their food. Obviously they are successful if they keep reproducing.

The smaller enclosure will be a fine size for her.
What are you feeding her?
It's hard to imagine that the cage size would prevent her from finding food .... they are pretty good hunters.

-Brad

Why don't you tell us, what you are feeding and how much. What type of case is she currently in? How big or old is she? What makes you think she isn't eating? Is she WC? How long have you had her?

grasshopper, wax worms, she didn´t take the roach shelfordela tartara and bubia , some flys, some crikets and now I am desperat for she hasn´t been eating so I puted som flour worms in hers mouth, I am going to give her som stick baculum cricket.

I take 10 grasshopper or so in the cages and let she take them, but she hade been eating for a while so I am worry, the rest of the crickets manages to hid from her so no eating there either

It is possible that she is sick. When chams become sick, sometimes initially there are no outward physical signs there is an illness.
If a chameleon is passing up on all those great food items(especially the flies) I would suspect an illness or other physical problem.

Are you SURE she isn't eating (they can be pretty shy sometimes) Pendergast finger feeds, but Skeeta hasn't been seen eating in months!

Maybe get a fecal done, but in the mean-time post a few pics so Trace, Eisentrauti and Brad can have a good look. (no point in guessing what's wrong)

Good luck

no, she has got skinny and the food hides where she can´t see it, but a cages of sizes 42 42 76 will be oki then?
how big cages should j j have ? ( looking for whats works for you)

i dont have any exp with j. jacksonii, but i would imagine xanths are similar, xanths seem to be more concerned with the way the cage is planted and setup rather than overall size, and having the top of the cage above eye level seems to make them more comfortable, even still, i would consider the smaller size cage mentioned, suitable (for a solo adult female) as long as you didnt go any smaller and the top of the cage/ basking spot is above eye level. i would think that cup feeding would better for the long run, if the animal is healthy and eating properly, acclimating it to cup feeding should be a minor issue, if its not eating regularly, then feces would be the best indicater of health. if feces is normal, then things are probably ok , if feces is often subnormal, then you may have bigger issues than cage size or feeding style. with all due respect, this is where the help form comes in handy, with little information about the animal or the way it is kept (or condition of the feces) it is hard to ascertain what issues might be in play

Typical adult Jackson's cage requirements are something like 36 inches tall by 18-24 wide. I have mine in a 4ft tall cage because he loves moving around, and since he's wild-caught, I want him to have all the space I can afford.

If she is full grown and not eating, guaranteed it is not due to too much space. Unless the crickets and grasshoppers are hiding in the dirt of the plants, there's no where they can hide that she won't eventually see them. Remember that they've evolved to find insects among branches and leaves. It is very likely a health problem. If she's losing weight take her to the vet to get her checked out, because it may be a parasite problem.

The cage is probably not the issue, so save your money and go to the vet.

In a previous thread you talked about using a fan...are you using one?

You said..."my jacksons had pooped out they cricket exactly as they eated"...and..."the poop was dry but not digested"...could be parasites...could be dehydrated...or a number of other things.

What is the temperature in the warmest area of the cage? Where she sits normally? How long have you had her?

I would advise you to take her to a vet ASAP.

I have a female jacksonii jacksonii in a cage that's 61x61x91cm and thickly planted and she has never, ever had a problem finding food in the last couple of years. If she's not eating and skinny, my guess would be parasites or failing kidneys. I recommend the vet, too.

Back
Top Bottom